Cow-Dolphin--III

III

            The debrief landed on the president’s desk the next day. There had been too many attacks and it was becoming a serious problem. It seemed like the cow-dolphin was unstoppable. “Mr. President,” the woman said, throwing the folder onto the large desk.

            The president looked up. “Can I help you?”

            “Why, yes you can. We have a problem, sir. One that needs to be isolated and resolved immediately.” She tapped the folder. “Everything you need to know is in here.”

            The president flipped it open and began to scan the page. “300 plus deaths in a little over two weeks?”

            “Yes, sir. They’ve been wandering the country side. They’re nearing the city. We need to stop them before they get there.”

            “Who or what are ‘they’ exactly?”

            “The cow-dolphin and the moose-sloth gang, sir.”

            The president began to laugh. He obviously did not take the strange lady seriously. “How do you expect me to believe there is a cow-dolphin and a moose-sloth gang running around killing people? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?”

            The woman shook her head in disappointment and flipped the page to where there were pictures.

            The president’s eyes widened comically as he took in the images. There they were, all laid out in front of him. The cow-dolphin with its fin and the gore spread out among it. The sloth with incredibly long claws that the sun glinted off of covered in blood and fleshy bits. The moose, moving so quickly it was only a blur on the page, but you could see the lasers that were being fired from his antlers.

            “What is this?” he asked.

            “This is exactly what I told you about. They’re mutants. We discovered the laboratory in which they were made—a warehouse where a man named Burney Mac would splice or genetically mutate animals. He did a great job, don’t you think?

            “We read his journals. He was hoping to create an unstoppable creature that he could get to do his bidding. He got an unstoppable creature, but he did not get it to listen to him. This man was highly intelligent. Pity, we could’ve used him.”

            “Where is he now?”

            “We found his body decomposing on the floor of the warehouse with his left arm missing and his spinal cord severed. He was also covered in blood and hoof prints. We suspected the cow-dolphin killed him by trampling him and then ripping his arm off.”

            The president nodded. “I see. What do you want me to do?”

            “There is no time to take this to Congress. We need to take action now, Mr. President. We need your permission to do so.”

            “Where do I sign?”

            “Right here,” she said, flipping the page yet again and tapping the page with her index finger. “This is a matter of life or death, sir. We’re going to take all measures necessary to stop this creature.”

            “As I expected,” the president retorted. “Good luck, Miss…”

            “Cuckler.”

            “Best of luck to you, Ms. Cuckler. I hope you stop them.”

            “I will, sir. I will.”