𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟶𝟹 - 𝙳𝚒𝚛𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚎

I woke up in my little cozy cone, Sally had just finished redecorating, and I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty nice. I got ready, got out of bed put on some decent clothes brushed my hair and everything, then exited the cone. I walked over to the Lobby where Sally was organizing papers. I walk up to the desk and ring the bell, "Hey Sal!" She looked up and smiled at me.

"Y/N, wanna head down to Flos today?" She asked grinning, I smiled and nodded. She seemed to be in a good mood. She then got up and walked around the counter, she motioned me to follow her. I followed her out the door, "How'd you sleep Y/N?"

"Pretty good, I like the new furniture," I say, she smirked.

"Thanks, I taught it out," She said kicking a rock. Today Sally was wearing a neat work blouse with some dress pants, she always wears that and she looks good no matter what.

***

We arrived at the familiar gas station and entered it. I look around to see Flo behind the counter, Ramone sitting on a stool at the counter and Lightning McQueen sitting on a stool, absolutely destroying his meal of eggs and waffles. I would look at Sally and then back at them. No one seemed to notice that we had entered. "Hey guys" I would speak up, everyone quickly turned around to look at us.

"Hey guys, how'd you sleep?" Flo would ask as she grabbed two mugs, starting to brew us some fresh coffee. Gosh, I missed her homemade coffee, with real coffee beans and not some gas station chemical coffee that I usually drink while driving to work.

"Slept pretty well, how about you?" Sally would reply as she took a seat next to Ramone, leaving an empty stool in between her and McQueen. Id hesitantly took a seat beside Lighting, he looked over at me, his mouth was messy with pancake crumbs. Gosh, when was the last time this guy has eaten, probably not in a while... I would slightly wave at him before turning back to Flo, who had just finished brewing our coffees. Lighting would wave back before finishing his food and drinking his milk before sighing.

"Y/N!" Lighting would say happily as he used a napkin to wipe his mouth. I would look over at him.
"Hello.." I would reply a bit nervous. I was trying so hard to be mad at him... But how could I be mad at a face like that?? He has such pretty eyes, a nice jawline, and arms like Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing!... Man, I gotta rewatch that movie. Wait I'm getting off-topic now, I'm mad at him.
Lighting would look over at Flo, then back at me before smirking. "Flo, you said I could choose who to supervise me today... Right?" My breath hitched as I heard this, I knew exactly what he was trying to do, and I hated it.
Flo would nod slightly "Yes I did.. Why, do you have someone in mind?" she would ask as I took a sip of my coffee, praying he wouldn't say my name.

"I do, how about.." He would glance over at me, "Y/N?" He would say confidently.

Flo would look at me before asking "Are you alright with this?"

I would look at Lighting before looking at Flo. "Sure... Why not?" I would say, my voice slightly shaking. I did not want to do this, but I didn't want to seem rude... Plus I think Mater deserves a break from this dude.

***

I was leaning back against the light pole, it was late evening now and Lighting was just finishing up one part of the road. I would yawn a little as I watched him work, it had been a very long and boring day. Throughout the day, I was able to catch up on some work while he was fixing the road. Being a journalist is hard, especially when you do not have enough information to write about. Luckily, Lighting was able to help me out with that. It was surprising how much he loved to talk about himself. He had told me what he was planning to do, who his rivals were, what kind of race car he drives... He seemed interesting... Earlier that day, Lighting had told me what he was doing here in the first place. He had said that his car had gone off-road while driving to sunny California and it got caught on a fence and somehow dug up a portion of the road.

Lighting would sit up on his knees as he sighed heavily. "I finished, can we go get dinner now?" he would groan as he took off his gloves. I could tell the desert heat had gotten to him, he was drenched in sweat and looked exhausted.
That had snapped me out of my deep train of thought, I would look over at him. His blonde hair was hanging low and his face had some specks of concrete on it. His sleeves were rolled up to reveal his forearms and his plain white t-shirt and jeans were dirty. A few hours ago he had given me his racing jacket to hold onto for him while he worked, that jacket was tied around my waist. "Sure.." I would say as I walked over to him, reaching my hand out for him to stand up.

He would take my hand, pulling himself up before brushing off his jeans. He was a pretty tall man, if I had to guess his height it would be around '5'9 or maybe even '6'0. "So where do you guys eat here? Is it just Flos?" He would ask as he adjusted the baseball cap on top of his head.

"Just Flos" I would reply as I looked down at the new road, it looked really neat.

I guess he had noticed me admiring his work, he would smirk as he spoke "Do you like it? It is just one of my many different talents... Maybe you can write about those too" He would say as he leaned over my shoulder, his face was close and I could feel his breath against my neck. I would shiver a bit before turning around to face him.

"I don't think being able to fix roads is an interesting talent" I would reply as he crossed his arms, fixing his posture.

He would scoff, "Are you sure? I think it is a very awesome talent" he would say with a smirk on his face.

"It isn't," I simply say as I remove his racing jacket from around my waist, handing it to him before starting to make my way to Flos. He would follow behind me as he removed his baseball cap, his blonde hair now free. The sun was now setting and it looked beautiful.

"Man... I never realized his beautiful this place is.." he would say quietly as he stopped in his tracks, admiring the sunset in front of us. I would turn around to look at him, he was in a complete trance by this sky, and maybe it would brainwash him into being nicer for once. That seemed to catch him off guard, he would look at me as his hair fell in front of his face.
"You did?" He would ask in a curious tone.

I nodded as I turned to face him. "Well, not really.."

He would tilt his head slightly to the side when I said that. "Then what do you mean, 'You grew up here'? I would have never expected you to be from this dump..."
I would frown, "This isn't a dump!" I would snap before taking a deep breath and continuing "I came here every summer since I was born, Flo had taken care of me and I guess it had become a tradition.." I would say as he crossed his arms again.

He would nod slightly before looking back at the sunset. "I could never imagine living in a place like this, it's like the desert here!"

I would give him a look when he said this, did he not know that he was in a desert right now?? I then started to examine his face, it was obvious that he wasn't able to clean up within the past couple of days. He had a 5 o'clock shadow on his jaw and some eyebags. I couldn't help but feel bad as I watched him run his fingers through his messy hair. Maybe I could convince Sally to let him sleep in a cone for tonight...