Chapter 1 - Rowena

The biggest lesson a woman could ever learn is that power is not earned; not through compliance, soft smiles, or being pushed aside by the louder, more assertive man. In their eyes, women should step aside and be grateful for what they are given, for they hold all the power in that moment. Power is granted to those bold enough to challenge fate and seize it. It takes a courageous woman to find that they hold all the power they ever needed, if they simply reach out and take it.

I have always found men who underestimate the courageous women to be fools.

"Princess Rowena, I hereby declare my marriage proposal annulled." His voice cracked uncertainly, his accent thick and rich like honey.

The court gasped. In shock? In relief? Probably a mixture of both. I think this makes prince number... how many have there been already?

Prince Parva hovered above me as I remained curtsying just before him. My focus remained focused on his embroidered shoes, with tips that curled up delicately, even as he cleared his throat.

Three?

"I find your disposition too combative and... tiresome. I do not know any other prince, nor man, who would want such a brazen wife such as you. I do not know if your attitude is simply that you are stupid, or if you are simply that outspoken. Regardless, I would rather risk our countries forging closer ties with our marriage than actually marry you."

Five?

While I could care less about actually marrying him, the last bit... ouch. Huffing out an annoyed breath, I rose from my curtsy to stare down my nose at him. While I checked the mask I slid over to control my facial features, I remained pleasant with a touch of disappointment to those watching. However, I made sure the way I looked at him conveyed everything I needed him to know.

He's just another arrogant, pompous, demeaning ass-

"Prince Parva, please. I beg you. You just need to sign the paperwork, and this whole situation is just a small remedy away. Rowena has always had a strong head on her shoulders, but that just means your future sons will be trailblazers too." My father said curtly, trying to soothe the bristling prince as we stared each other down.

I know many of the prince's who have proposed in recent months had names starting with the letter P by some strange coincidence. Philip, Paul, Parva... were there six prince's that have proposed by now? Maybe?

Prince Parva looked like he was a breath away from reacting in some way, and none of the viable options seemed like they would be good ones. I looked him up and down before meeting his eyes again, a hint of a sneer starting to crack through my mask. I was wholeheartedly unimpressed.

Right as the prince opened his mouth to say something, his handsomely dark face contorting with anger, my father interjected again.

"Perhaps we could find an arrangement-"

That's right, eight.

Eight prince's have attempted to ask for my hand in marriage. All eight of them wooing my father, and the council, and all the other important male figureheads. But not me. Not even one. Their prospective bride, who they only see as a prize to be bought. So, I may or may not have sabotaged all eight proposals. Allegedly. It depends on who is asking.

I would find the right buttons to push and drive them to the point they leave me looking like the fool. Never I. For I will strategize my game of chess with them, until they are forced to decide on keeping their sanity, or pursue their political advancements. They've all chosen their sanity thus far.

"There is no arrangement we could come to. Respectfully, Princess Rowena is clinically insane, your majesty. I found spiders in my wardrobe not once, but three times just for starters."