Chapter 7: The True Mastermind

Tawna heaved a sigh as she sat in the corner, wrapping her arms around herself, her eyes half-shut. She wondered if Crash would ever come to her rescue, as she was starting to lose hope. The fellow bandicoot near her had yet to awaken, and it was difficult to tell if she was even breathing. She shifted toward the unconscious marsupial and proceeded to tap on her, but before she could do so, the door swung open. Tawna looked toward the entrance to see a teenager who appeared to be a mix between a feline and a human. She possessed blue skin and darker blue freckles, as well as black, curly hair that reached the middle of her back. Her purple eyes glared straight at the bandicoot as she approached the cell.

"What do you want?" Tawna growled as she turned away from the teenager, Natalie.

"Well, that isn't polite," Natalie snarled. "I believed you had finally learned some manners, but it would seem that I was wrong."

"Just say what you've got to say and be done with it."

"I simply came to give you a warning. You had best heed my words. Dr. Cortex may wish to conquer the world, but he is not aware that such an attempt may lead to his demise."

Tawna simply rolled her eyes. "Of course it will. I have faith that Crash will defeat him."

"Oh, but that is where you misunderstand. Cortex is not the only foe he will face. There is another, particularly someone who has worked for Dr. Cortex since that marsupial's journey began. He is not aware, however, that he has been deceived."

"What do you mean?"

"The person I speak of is a Master of Darkness, though her name is unknown to me. I am not yet certain as to how this transpired, but numerous memories were seemingly erased from my mind, one of which was her name. All I can recall is her using me for her own personal gain in the past."

"Why are you telling me all of this?"

"A simple matter. The organization is more powerful than Cortex could ever hope to be. I wish to see their miserable world burn."

After uttering those words, Natalie left the room at a rather slow and menacing pace. Tawna simply looked on, a sense of confusion flooding her mind. She had never heard of the Masters of Darkness in the past. How much of a threat could they really be?

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the door creak open once more. In stepped a familiar pair of shoes, which slowly approached the cage she was cramped in. She avoided eye contact with the newcomer, until she was yanked up by her shirt collar and forced to stand. Her expression became sour as she glared at the mutated potoroo, who grinned smugly at her reaction.

Before Tawna could speak, another individual seemingly teleported into the room, immediately joining Pinstripe's side. The individual in question wore an unfamiliar black cloak, with the hood covering their face. Although Tawna hadn't the slightest clue as to who they could have been, their presence cast a dark glow.

"W-What do you want from me?" the bandicoot stammered. She attempted to act brave, but it was for naught.

"Did either of us give you permission to speak?" the stranger in the cloak snarled, their voice giving away that they were most likely a female. Said stranger turned to Pinstripe once again. "You may leave. Allow me to deal with this heathen." The mutant nodded and said not a word as he left, with the cloaked individual turning to the bandicoot again afterward. "I fear that that partner of yours has already met his inevitable end."

Tears brimmed in Tawna's eyes, although she did not believe a word of it. "N-No...you're lying!"

"Oh, but am I? As I stated, such a thing was inevitable. Most predicted the incident, and you should have as well."