Part 8~The Painted Lady

The sun rose as the group packed up, ready to leave, when Isu glanced back. "What's the matter, Katara?"

"I think Corno's sick." She petted Corno's fur as Isu shot forward.

"What?!"

"Corno's sick? That's awful," Sokka complained as Toph raised an eyebrow.

"Wow, Sokka, I didn't realise you cared so much."

"Of course, I care. I might as well throw our schedule away now." Sokka pulled out the scroll as the rest glared at him. He cleared his throat, rushing to Corno's side. "And I'm concerned because my big, furry friend doesn't feel well."

Isu kicked him to the side, muttering sweet nothings to her bison as she petted Corno's head.

"She must have gotten sick from being in the polluted water," Toph commented as Isu frowned.

"No, no. I know my bison. She doesn't look sick. You okay, girl?" Corno groaned, opening her mouth and showing off the purple tongue. "Well, that's new. Katara, can you heal her?"

"It looks like she needs some medicine. Maybe we can find the right herbs in town."

Isu frowned, petting Corno's head softly. "I'll stay with the bison. Keep an eye on her and make sure Pickle doesn't catch whatever Corno has."

Iroh nodded, offering to stay as well as the rest left. Hachi watched the bison in concern as Zuko pulled him back to town. "Let's get those herbs and make her feel better," Zuko soothed as Hachi sighed.

"Yeah."

"What's wrong?"

Hachi hugged his arms, keeping his head down. "This may be silly, but I don't know. I've studied bison care; it's the only textbook I willingly read, but I've never heard or seen or read about a bison's tongue turning purple. Red, yes. Green sure. Yellow, a few times, but never purple."

"Maybe the textbooks are outdated, or this disease hasn't affected bison before?"

"But that would be more concerning as if this is the first time it's hopped from river to bison," he drifted off as Zuko connected the dots.

"The bison might not be the only ones infected."

~~~

"Is it just me, or does this place seem different?" Toph frowned as they walked through the town. People were cheering and running about as Hachi gave them a suspicious look.

"Yeah, are the people happier?"

Sokka led the charge, going up to Xu's market. "Hey, Xu, what's going on with everyone today?"

"Ah, something amazing happened last night," Xu cheered, drinking from a ladle. "Food was delivered to our village by a mysterious and wonderful person, the Painted Lady."

"The Painted who now?" Katara gave Xu a weird look as he smiled.

"The Painted Lady." He placed a miniature statute of the spirit on the counter. "She's part of our town's lore. They say she's a river spirit who watches over our town in times of need. I always thought she was just a legend until now."

"See, we don't need to help these people. They already have someone to help them," Sokka exclaimed. "All we need is medicine for our sick friend."

"Medicine? Sorry, all the medicine we have goes to the factory. That's why there are so many sick people in our village."

"Looks like we need to stay another night so Corno can rest," Katara stated as Sokka sighed.

"I guess you're right. You got any more food to sell?"