Chapter 1

It's 9 at night.

A myriad of people both local and foreign flood the streets of Tokyo, Japan. The sky-rises neatly strewn across this prefecture are adorned with sleeping lights that flicker awake when the sun falls below the horizon to rest. The colorful neon dances throughout the metropolis; it's a complete different personality in comparison to the one that's presented during the day.

Between the tall buildings and into the heart of this concrete jungle sits Omoide Yokocho. This outdoor eatery makes up one of Shinkuju's most popular nighttime hangouts. The maze of narrow alleys brings a sense of nostalgia to some of its visitors. It reminds people of what once was the era of Showa. This old remnant of Japan is cluttered with a variety of food stalls, all which seemed old and rundown; it's a stark contrast compared to the blooming city surrounding it. Despite the poor upkeep, the smells of smoke and grease from the yakitori were, still, surprisingly appealing. The aromatics that fill the air and the beautiful aged scenery continue to entice the people passing by.

These congested tiny streets are so small that your stretched out arms could occupy the entire lane; it's usually frequented by a lot of Japan locals after a days of work with some tourists scattered somewhere in between. Loud chatter and laughter permeate this current side street; it's noisy everywhere.

"KANPAI!"

It's been a long day. You, Utahime Iori and Shoko Ieiri laze on the outdoor seating of an izakaya somewhere. A string of paper lanterns hang overhead and the soft glow illuminates the area nicely.

After a cheers, the three of you swig the light lager. The hazy gold colored malt ends with a nice hop finish and you slam your cold glass of Kirin Ichiban back onto the wooden table. You slap your hands onto your warm cheeks and sigh with great pleasure. This premium crafted beer was much needed.

Utahime teases, "Drunk already?"

"Getting there." A hiccup interferes your smile.

"I'm glad you're feeling better." Shoko takes a bite of her chicken skewer.

"You also look a lot better." Utahime takes another drink and then she says, "So, please do us a favor and stop dating deadbeats."

As much as she enjoyed your company, the girl was getting tired of having to escort your incoherent, drunken ass home almost every night after your horrendous breakup(s).

You frown, "Do you have to be so rude about it?"

"Yes." Utahime's not afraid to speak her mind. Shes allowed to consider her own feelings and her valuable time—just like anyone else, "You were starting to get out of hand."

"But—"

"No buts!" Utahime doesn't let you speak against it, "If dating a man twice your age, with no money and with child isn't a red flag to you, I don't know what is."

"His body made up for it." Your hands curl into your cheeks more and then you smile salaciously as your mind imagines his body underneath your palms.

Shoko's eyes perk as she chews her food. She nods with some agreement, "Mm, yes. Fushiguro Toji did have amazing physique. At least his personality was somewhat better than the one before him. What was that guys name again?"