𝟎𝟒 ・ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧

𝟎𝟒 · 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧

𝟎𝟒 · 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧

»»————-  ————-««

 -FLOWERS HAD BLOOM, and winter had passed. Mathias, Victoire, and Lexie were happy to see the days getting longer, and the weather was also warmer. They would hate it in the summer, but for now, the sun on their skin was a relief after the winter. After what happened, they had chosen to stay together; no one was left behind. They went on runs, locking the shop door with padlocks they had found in the bikes aisle. Mathias had taught Victoire how to defend herself, even though she didn't think she was capable of killing anyone, even after Sam and Lauren. Victoire didn't really remember much. She woke up with her head on Lexie's lap while Mathias was outside; she could see him through the open front door. It was weird; they never left that door open, even in daylight. The girl could see he was digging something; from the size of it, it looked big. Lexie then explained what had happened, why her head hurt, and why Mathias was digging graves. She cried that day, feeling like it was her fault; she had begged Mathias to let those people in. On that day, new regulations came into effect: Mathias committed to instructing the girl in fundamental self-defense techniques daily, ensuring they remained inseparable. Victoire joined them on their runs, and they vowed never to place their trust in anyone again.

»»————-  ————-««

"I am going to hate the summer, aren't I?" Victoire exclaimed, sweating profusely. In France, and especially from her region, the heat was never that bothersome. She had grown up near the sea, in Bretagne, near the English Channel, where it was almost always cold and rainy. Moving to Paris, the weather was approximately the same. She was not used to the scorching heat, and it was barely May.

"This is nothing; the heat will really settle in June, all the way to mid-September. You're in for a very long summer, little lady," Mathias laughed. He had been to Afghanistan and Iraq, where the sun showed no mercy; this was nothing for him. "Bet you miss your little France, huh!"

After the winter, with their resources was getting lower, Mathias had started venturing further and further away. They had scavenged all the shops, pharmacies, and apartments around their location; it was becoming a problem. They would have to move soon, find another place. Right now, their priority was to find some food and water. The trio was in a good mood today; they had slept well, and the rain had finally stopped pouring. They had been stuck in the store for the last five days because of the weather—rain and strong winds. Lexie refused to go out, saying they'd get sick anyway. Breathing the fresh air had never felt better; Mathias already knew the girls would beg him to stay outside longer today, and he wasn't going to refuse them.

"There shall be a town pretty soon..." Mathias said, looking up from the map. "It looks like it was a big thing back in the day. Might be able to find some food." Looking at Victoire, he quickly added: "Some lighter clothes too, maybe."