In Another Life.

First Person: Becca Blue:

After Camilla and Trixie, I led a dazed Chip to a nearby building. The building was much like the other one we were in, if not a repeat. It was tall, and had the sidewall blown out, leaving it with three walls.

We climbed up around seven floors, until we were close to the top. There, we found a room, and sat down. I blocked the door off, then sat next to Chip.

I spent the rest of the night staying up with him, whispering sweet nothings as I held his shivering body.

I could tell the gamemakers were messing with us, and I knew they were going to continue to do so. They were making the temperature drop, I could tell because as I was comforting Chip, I could see my breath in the air.

Day five was slow, and nothing happened besides three canons. Three canons that I hoped were the careers. I held Chip throughout the day, coaxing him so he would sleep. He wouldn't let go of my hand, so I let him grip it. He leaned his head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head on his. He cried, so I wiped his tears.

"Do you think she paid the man?" Chip mumbled, pulling me from my almost-sleep state. I looked down at him, his head resting on my chest.

"What?" I asked, gently playing with his curls.

"The coin." He said, looking up, "do you think she paid the man?"

"The Ferryman?" I asked, a small smile tugging at my lips.

"Yeah, him."

"The Ferryman doesn't ask for much," I explained, "the coin was probably too much, but I'm sure she has crossed the river by now." I said, holding him a bit tighter. I could feel his shivers, and I bet he could feel mine.

"Have you slept?"

"No, but, I'm alright." I lied, putting on a small smile, hoping it would distract him from the eyebags under my eyes. Sure, I couldn't see them, but I could feel them. "We should eat." I diverted, reaching for the bag of food.

"Don't let go." Chip mumbled, giving my hand a squeeze.

"I won't." I replied, a smile breaking out. I used my other hand to open the bag and pull out a small loaf of bread, the one I broke into chunks. I split it between both of us. I watched as Chip took small nibbles, but I practically shoved it down my throat. I laughed a bit, it was like watching a bird peck at its food.

"You laughing at me, princess?" He asked, looking up. His eyes met mine, and I smiled. I looked at him, memorizing his face. His dark eyes pierced my green ones, and his lopsided smile was starting to make its way back to his face. His dark curls stuck to his face with sweat, but due to the ever-dropping temperature, they were starting to come back. He was still wearing the chestplate that I had taken from Camilla.

"Yeah, what are you gonna do about it, pretty boy?" I sassed, pulling myself out of my head. "I'm the one with the rat poison." He just pushed his body against mine, laughing, and continued eating–pecking–at his food.

We had spent the rest of the day in the room, not bothering to test our luck. We kept ourselves tucked away from the world in the dusty corner.

"It's freezing," I stuttered, once the sun had gone down, my teeth started chattering.

"They've been lowering it for d-days now." Chip blurted out, pulling his arms out of his jacket and crossing them over his chest. "I remember cause after you got hurt, we all had to put our jackets on." He recalled as I snuggled against him. "How is your back, anyways?"

"Better, I can barely feel anything." I said, closing my eyes as my head rested on his shoulder. I let my body shiver against his, not even thinking about the cameras that must be focused on us now. I felt his arms wrap around me, and I sunk into his grasp, allowing myself to fall asleep. Day five was over. The peace was over. I had an awful feeling in my gut that tomorrow will be awful.