Chapter 2 - A Family Of...Dogs?

As Delilah and I walked down the streets, I was still trying to wrap my head around the situation I had somehow found myself in, I was currently on the way to some talking Dalmatian's house who is also a nurse, this was all just too hard to believe, but everything that led up to this point proved that this was in fact real and not a hallucinogenic nightmare.

The biggest question in my mind when I met Delilah was how, in the name of all things that is sacred, did Delilah have the ability to speak fluent English? When I expressed my confusion to her, she seemed shocked that I was able to understand her, does this mean that other humans are unable to understand the dog's language?

Just then, Delilah's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Hey Lukas, can I ask you something?"

"Oh.. uh... sure." I replied, stuttering a bit from being caught off guard as I looked down at Delilah. "What is it?"

"How are you able to understand me?" She asked.

"I... I don't know." I replied honestly. "It just kinda... happened. Why do you ask? Can't all humans understand you?"

"Well, no, none of the humans understand any of us." Delilah explained.

"Huh, I guess I'm an exception then." I said with a slight chuckle.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my leg as I stopped and clenched it, letting out an audible "ow" as I did so.

"Oh dear, you're getting worse." Delilah said with concern as she too stopped walking to look back at me. "Don't worry, we're almost there."

"Uh... Delilah?" I called out.

"Hmm?"

"I just wanted to say... thanks for helping me out, I really need it." I said gratefully.

"Oh, it's no trouble at all, dear." Delilah replied with a reassuring smile. "You seem different from other humans, so I'm willing to lend you a paw."

But as we continued walking, I spotted a street sign up ahead which read "Dalmatian Street" I thought that was a rather odd name for a street, but I didn't' say anything about it.

...

After walking for another few minutes, Delilah finally came to a halt as she was looking at an apartment from across the street, I looked over and saw what I assumed was the apartment that Delilah lived in. It seemed like a quaint little apartment, but what struck me as a bit odd was that the front of the building was covered in purple spots for some reason.

"So, that's your home?" I asked.

"Sure is." Delilah replied, before she started to cross the road. "Follow me."

I followed Delilah across the road, being mindful of cars and buses, and we soon stopped in front of the house, I looked at the door and saw it had the house number "101" I also noticed that next to the door, there was what looked like a scanner.

"What's that?" I wondered, pointing at the scanner.

Delilah looked at me with a confused look, before she noticed what I was pointing at, and she smiled in realization.

"Oh, that's the paw-print scanner, it's what we use to lock and unlock the door." She replied, before looking at me with a serious look. "Okay Lukas, just wait out here for a moment, I'll go talk to everyone inside." Delilah told me.

"Alright, I'll be here."

With that, Delilah made her way up the stairs and in front of the door, she then placed a paw on the paw-print scanner, it scanned her paw as it made a beeping sound. The door swung open, and Delilah walked inside, the door closing behind her on its own.