Chapter 1 - Home

Sometimes, life can be an absolute pain in the neck, and you just never know what life might throw at you next, I certainly know that's true. I'm Lukas Hart, and ever since my parents passed away in a tragic car accident, I've been calling the streets of Camden Town my home for about a few years, and let me just say, it's been pure torture.

I spend my days wandering aimlessly around the London town, and spend my nights in dark alleyways, accompanied by nothing but trash and the occasional animals I'd encounter, my life has been like this for as long as I can remember, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Now, you're probably thinking, why don't I just go live at a shelter or something? Well, I've always thought that shelters were too crowded and besides, I'm eighteen years old, I wanted to take on the world on my own.

Oh what a mistake that was...

Today was no different, I walked around aimlessly, with no real purpose in life besides just existing. Everyday, I look around me and see people with smiling faces and a positive attitude as they go about their day, but as for me, I felt as if I had a rain cloud above my head and I thought I would never find happiness again.

However, as I was walking, my nose had picked up the scent of baked goods. Following the source revealed it to be coming from the town's resident cafe. 

For some reason, I thought that the cashier was in a good mood today and would let me get some food for free? I highly doubted they would, but it couldn't hurt to try.

As soon as I entered, I was met with people sitting around, enjoying their food, I immediately realized that I stood out with my torn clothes compared to everyone else's clean clothes. But regardless, I made my way over to the counter, thankfully, there weren't that many people in line, so it wasn't long before I reached the counter.

"Hey there, what can I get you?" Asked the man at the counter.

"Um... hang on, I might need some time." I replied.

"You're good, take your time." The man assured me.

After browsing the wide selection of pastries, I eventually made my choice. "I'd like a strawberry cheesecake please."

"Sure, that'll be 7 dollars." The man said.

I started sweating, not sure how to tell the cashier that I was currently short on money (no surprise there) 

"Oh... uh... sure, but one small problem." I stuttered.

"What is it?" The man asked concerned.

"I... kinda... have no money." I replied, my cheeks slowly turning red.

"You.. have no money?" The man repeated, unable to believe what he had heard.

"No, but I was wondering if you could possibly.... give me it for free?" I said hopefully.

The man just looked at me with narrow eyes for a moment, which made me more nervous, before he promptly pointed at the door.

"Get out." He whispered.

"What?" I asked, not hearing him.

"GET OUT!" He yelled. "We don't serve freeloaders!"

I opened my mouth to protest, but I noticed that some people in the cafe were looking at us, not wanting to cause more of a scene, I just walked out silently.

As I exited, I was still taken aback by the man's tone towards me, I'm surprised no one in the cafe stepped forward, everyone just kind of let it happen.

Deciding to put that interaction aside, I made my way into a nearby alleyway, this alleyway is where I spend most of my nights, my new home, if you could even call it that. Overwhelmed by emotions and thoughts, I sat down against a wall and reflected on what my life has become, I was only eighteen years old, and I was homeless and living out on the streets with no one to turn to and no one to support me through these difficult times, I was alone, I was sad, I was... depressed.