September 8 (Part 3)

POV: Shubman Gill

Shubman woke up slowly, from his deep slumber. It was the first time in the last few days that he was able to sleep properly. His sleep was not terrorized by nightmares. He shifted uncomfortably and thought of calling out to Ibrahim, but stopped when he heard Simran talk.

‘ Ibrahim, all I'm saying is, maybe having his friends around might help him recover faster’

Ibrahim let out a groan.

‘ Madam, I will invite them, when I think the time is right. Right now, he's too weak. Plus you have seen his fits of anger, do you really think it would be the best move to bring his friends around?’

‘ you can't keep him isolated!’

‘ Don't raise your voice, he's finally asleep! Also I'm not isolating him. Just…. Can you just trust me?’ Ibrahim whispered.

‘ I want to trust you, but I don't agree with what you are doing right now’ Simran sounded angry.

‘ You don't need to agree, I will do what I think is best. His safety is my responsibility’

Simran let out a gasp.

‘ How. Dare. You’ Simran growled.

Shubman cleared his throat and decided to end the argument.

‘ Hi baby," Simran said entering through the curtains.

Shubman hugged her.

‘ I'm sorry about misbehaving in the morning.’

Simran kissed his head and smiled through her tears.

‘ Where's mamma and dada?’

‘ They are with the Drs, they will come in soon’

Shubman nodded and continued to hug Simran.

‘Sir? Did you sleep well?’ Ibrahim asked, peeking through the curtains.

Shubman slowly nodded and glanced at his sister as he noticed the tension between Ibrahim and Simran.

‘ I.. I'm going to the masjid. I will come back soon’

‘ Maybe don't come back at all,’ Simran whispered to herself.

Shubman looked at his sister wide eyed.

Ibrahim let out an angry sigh and left the room.

Shubman opened his mouth to say something but stopped when he heard his mom and dad rushing in.

‘ Kaka!’ his mom cried out and hugged Shubman.

‘ Mamma…..Dada’ he cried and buried himself in his mom's arms. His father caressed his head.

‘ Oh my baby!’’ his mom cried and continued to kiss his face, his head, his swollen hands.

‘ Mamma, please don't cry," Shubman sobbed.

They hugged for a few more minutes, savoring each other's warmth. Shubman settled into his mom's arm, just like he used to as a child. His dad and Simran besides him.

‘ Suniye, maybe we should take him abroad. The doctors, the doctors aren't able to find out what's wrong with him’ Shubman's mom said softly.

Shubman sat up panicked. He didn't want to go anywhere, Ishaan couldn't reach him.

‘ No…dada I don't want to go’

‘ Baccha, she is right.  You have been here for days, and they didn't find out anything. You aren't improving at all’