𝟐. bittersweet

˚₊‧ ꒰ა ⚜️ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

"You have been claimed by Poseidon, Earthshaker, Stormbringer. Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon. As a forbidden child of the Sea God, you are singular amongst demigods. And your father's only hope to prevent the outbreak of war. For months now, Zeus and Poseidon have been locked in a dispute over the master bolt."

"Zeus is looking for a thief, sees a forbidden child claimed by his jealous brother... It doesn't look good for you, kid."

"I didn't do anything."

"Of course, you didn't. But your father needs your help."

"Zeus is king on Olympus and Poseidon has always resented it, but... there is a third brother who has always deeply resented them both."

"It's Hades."

"That is your quest. You must leave immediately."

"But you won't be alone, a quest is always undertaken by four."

As Percy declared her as part of the quest, the gravity of her role became undeniable.

Aurelia sat at the end of her bed. She picked at her nails nervously while lost in her thoughts.

Percy has picked her for this quest. It was an honor no doubt, but she secretly wished he would've not taken a liking to her. She had too much resting on her shoulders and she was scared it would bring her to her knees. I mean, going on a quest to the underworld? She didn't have a death wish.

but due to the haunting presence of Kronos. The fear of being close to the force behind her perpetual curse made the quest even more daunting, blurring the line between the living and the cursed.

In the realm of dreams, Aurelia shared a commonality with others - the haunting specter of neverending nightmares. What set her apart, however, was not the nature of these dreams but the malevolent force infiltrating her subconscious – the cold whisper, an undeniable presence, unmistakably Kronos. The gods reassured her that he couldn't harm her, confined to the depths of Tartarus for eternity. Yet, the question lingered: why did Kronos single her out for this unsettling connection?

Condemned to eternal youth at sixteen, Aurelia couldn't shake the feeling of being left out, as if the gods held secrets she was not privy to. The assurances that the curse couldn't inflict physical harm brought little comfort. She found herself dwelling on the paradox of her age – technically 18, yet perpetually frozen at 16. The concept seemed both poignant and perplexing, a strange dance between the cessation of aging and the inevitability of mortality.

What was the point?

As she navigated the intricacies of her existence, Aurelia pondered the seemingly arbitrary nature of Kronos's curse. The gods, silent on the matter, left her feeling like a pawn in a divine game. The perpetual youth, though shielding her from the ravages of time, became a bittersweet affliction. To outlive those she cherished posed an unimaginable pain, a consequence of her seemingly eternal youth.

Aurelia, in her quest for understanding, dedicated countless hours to unravel the threads of this curse. Why Kronos chose her and why he chose this peculiar form of punishment remained elusive. Eventually, she resigned herself to the enigma, accepting her existence as form of punishment.

Grover strolled into the room, his usual cheerful demeanor tempered by the sight of Aurelia nervously fidgeting. Concern etched his features as he approached her. "Aurelia? what's going on? You seem a bit on edge."

Aurelia looked up, attempting to muster a nonchalant smile. "Oh, nothing major. Just the deadly quest we're about to embark on."

Grover's eyes widened in surprise. "We? You are coming too?"