Chapter 6: Elizabeth (part 1)

Z turned off the lights in her office before picking up the files that rested on her desk. Dust had settled on them but it never bothered her. The room was illuminated only by the faint moonlight entering from the window just to her right.

She walked out of her office, files in hand, towards the archives room. Dan had already left, luckily Z had asked for the keys to the archives room in the afternoon. She went inside and placed the files onto one of the tables. Files had been piling on them since morning, causing Z to chuckle, thinking about how Dan was going to have a hard time sorting all of them tomorrow.

Suddenly, she heard the sound of faint typing from the room nearby, just a few steps away. Z was taken aback - no one was supposed to be here at this time.

She slowly made her way towards the room, her hands reaching the handle. She slowly opened the door to a familiar face. A boy, a bit younger than her was seated at his desk. He was dressed in his usual black leather jacket and had his hair tousled. A mechanical left arm was enough to give away his identity.

"J- Jack?" said Z in a hushed voice

Jack was startled

"Gah!" he winced " Oh, hey Z"

Z chuckled. She then walked over to Jack and sat down next to him

"What kept you up so late?" she asked

Jack stopped typing and stretched

"Well I cant really sleep" admitted Jack "and now the whole mafia shit..."

Jack sighed, clearly exhausted

Z placed a comforting hand on his shoulder

"I understand Jack" she said "We've been working around the clock recently, its only natural to feel this way, but dont worry I'm still here to support you as much as I can. We're friends, remember?"

Jack lowered his head and rested it on the table.

"I'm tired, Z" said Jack " I haven't slept in so long... the voices... they just won't stop"

Z's face was etched with concern

"V-voices?" she said "What do you mean, Jack?"

Jack sat up, he looked dishevelled. His eyes were tired and his tough demeanour melted away.

"What we saw back there Z..." began Jack "What we saw back out there.. They just wont fucking leave!"

Z's arm extended around Jack's shoulder

"Its okay Jack" Z began "I've seen them too, you're not alone"

Jack leaned into Z's hug "I know... Z... I just feel like i could've been stronger"

Z's hold remained firm

"You're not weak, Jack" she whispered "Putting on an act all this time... you're one of the strongest people I know"

Jack's voice broke "I've been pretending for so long... I don't know what to do anymore...Z"

"We'll get through this together Jack..." Z said "Just like we always have"

Jack pulled away from the embrace, managing a tired smile.

"Thanks Z, means a lot" he said

Z smiled "Through thick and thin, together"

She reached for Jack's left arm. It metallic and smelled of oil. She fell the coolness of the metal and and its smooth texture.

"It's cold" Z pointed out "It hurts, doesn't it?"