Chapter 1 - Prologue

My name is François Léonce Verny.

I was born on December 2, 1837, in Aubenas, a town located in the Ardèche department in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region of central France.

After graduating from the ENSM in 1860, I became a naval engineer. I joined the arsenal and, after working on shipbuilding, ironworking, and the repair of ships and artillery in mainland France, I traveled to East Asia in 1862. In Ningbo on the Chinese mainland, I established shipyards and docks and constructed small gunboats.

From 1865 to 1876, I worked under the Tokugawa Shogunate in Edo period Japan. In Yokosuka, I established ironworks and shipyards. However, after the overthrow of the Tokugawa Shogunate, I worked under the new Meiji government and contributed to the construction of Kannonzaki Lighthouse, Nojimazaki Lighthouse, Shinagawa Lighthouse, and Jōgashima Lighthouse. Eventually, I was dismissed due to my high salary.

I returned to France and died of pneumonia at my home on May 2, 1908.

Yes, I think it was not a bad life overall.

It is frustrating that the British overthrew the French-supported Japanese shogunate, but I guess we are even in the end since we harassed the British during the American Revolutionary War.

. . .

Corsica had initiated a movement for independence from its original sovereign state, the Republic of Genoa. However, due to Genoa's inability to repay debts to France, the Republic ultimately sold Corsica to France.

On May 7, 1769, during the Corsican Crisis, Pasquale Paoli, the commander of the Corsican resistance movement, led them to a major defeat against the French army in the Battle of Ponte Novu. Paoli barely escaped and sought exile in England. With this, the 40-year-long struggle for Corsican independence effectively concluded with the defeat of the independence forces, leading Corsica to fall under French rule.

At this time, Carlo Maria Buonaparte, who served as Paoli's deputy, surrendered to and switched sides with the French.

The Buonaparte family's ancestor, Guglielmo di Buonaparte, was a nobleman in the Tuscany region of Italy in the 13th century, descending from Florence and Sarzana. However, after the family's decline in the 15th century, Francesco di Buonaparte, the head of the family, moved to Corsica as a mercenary captain.

As a reward for switching sides to France, Carlo, the descendant of Francesco, was recognized as a new aristocrat in French-controlled Corsica, though he was a poor noble in reality. On August 15, 1769, in the town of Ajaccio on the French-controlled island of Corsica, a baby was born to the impoverished emerging nobles Carlo and his wife Maria Letizia Ramolino.

"Hmm, unlike the older child, I hope this one grows up safely. Let's name this child Napoleone again."

"Yes, it's a good name. And he has such a strong and determined face; I'm sure he will grow up well."

In fact, a male child named Napoleone was born to them in 1765 but died shortly after birth. The infant given the same name later became known as the military genius Napoleon Bonaparte in Corsica, born as Napoleone di Buonaparte, and in France as Napoleon Bonaparte.

. . .

1774

Ajaccio, Corsica, Kingdom of France

Suddenly I regained consciousness.

I was lying on a reasonably clean bed, but it was clearly different from Pont d'Aubenas residence.

"Where am I...?"

A beautiful woman with black hair spoke to me as I was confused.

"Ahh, Napoleone, I'm glad. You are awake and safe."

Napoleone? What do you mean by that?

...Ah, no, I remembered. I am Napoleone di Buonaparte.

Though it's somewhat nominal, I am the second son of a family that belongs to the French aristocracy, as indicated by the "di."

Born between a financially careless father and a thrifty mother, I despised my father who betrayed the respected Pasquale Paoli. However, thanks to my father's actions, we, the three sons, were granted scholarships, allowing us to attend school. Nevertheless, even when I was in my mother's womb, she participated in the war of independence as a female warrior.

So, I respect my mother... or I should, but for some reason, memories and knowledge from when I lived as François Léonce Verny are still present.

Setting that aside, why does every part of my body ache?

As I tilted my head, my mother smiled and spoke.

"You were suffering from a high fever. At one point, your consciousness was clouded, and you were uttering gibberish. I was worried about what might happen, but thank God your fever has gone down."

It seemed I was on the verge of life and death due to an illness accompanied by a high fever.

"I see. Sorry for your concern, Mother. I believe I'm fine now."

Mother seemed relieved. With my older brother and younger brother already dead, she must have been worried that I might follow suit.

"No, it's okay. Just get well soon, okay?"

After recovering my health, I diligently saved money under my mother's care. I bought books, including biographies of ancient heroes, to study the tactics of renowned figures such as Alexander III of Macedonia, Julius Caesar of Rome, Publius Cornelius Scipio, and Hannibal Barca of Carthage.

"In essence, the quality of an army lies in the ability of its supreme commander. Tactically speaking, the most powerful weapon is one that can attack from a distance. And the speed of the soldiers' feet is crucial, though the proficiency of the soldiers is also important."

During this time, I also confirmed world events through books.

At this period, Spain, once described as the country where the sun never sets, had declined significantly after the defeat of the Spanish Armada by the English navy in 1588. Portugal, too, had lost its former glory. Similarly, the Dutch maritime empire, which had grown alongside England, had exhausted itself through numerous Anglo-Dutch Wars and had lost its glory of the 17th century. The greatest maritime power at the time was undoubtedly the British Empire, with France emerging as the second power.

"It's surprising that there is such a technological difference in just a hundred years, though."

When I joined the arsenal, we had just developed the Gloire-class armored frigate equipped with coal-fired screw reciprocating engine and the Paixhans gun, the first naval gun designed to fire explosive shells and rifled guns. However, during this era, the most advanced naval vessels were still wooden sailing ships with cannon-armed gun decks.

"Well, it may have been precisely the time of a technological transition for ships."

In terms of firearms, muskets were still muzzle-loading flintlock muskets during this era. However, by the time I joined the arsenal, there were already Minié rifles, bolt-action breech-loading Chassepot rifles, Gras rifles, and primitive machine guns like the Mitrailleuse. Derringer pistols and revolvers also existed. Well, the Mitrailleuse might not have been as successful as the Gatling gun.

"If we can develop such weapons, perhaps we can change the future for France. We might be able to alter the future of constantly being defeated by the British."

I also possessed knowledge of steam engine-powered screw ironclads and shipboard guns.

Leading the French fleet against renowned British admirals like Hood and Nelson would be difficult, but there was a possibility of commanding the French fleet in battles and turning France into a naval power surpassing England. However, the Buonaparte family was impoverished and considered traitors on Corsica, disliked by the islanders. Our chances of success were uncertain. Moreover, the level of technology in weapons and other areas needed to be outstanding to win in modern warfare.

Five years later, I, along with my father Carlo and brother Giuseppe, sailed to France. Although I initially entered a school affiliated with a monastery, I soon left, and with state support, my brother Giuseppe enrolled in a seminary in Autun in 1779, while I entered a military academy of Brienne.