Primal Desire

''Commander Erwin,'' you approach the tall man as he's getting off the horse. He turns to face you and his expression shifts to the one that you had hoped not to be subjected to by the Military. But there he was, looking at you like he failed you in some way. 

     ''I'm sorry I couldn't save your brother,'' Erwin says softly once you're within the ear shot. He is tall, with broad shoulders, a man that thousands look up to to lead them through chaos that the breach of the gate had put on their plate. Yet he looks at you like he failed you somehow. You wish he didn't, because you need him to be in charge and not let emotions get in the way of what you're about to ask.

     ''I want to join the Scouts, Commander,'' you say without letting him say anything further. Just as you had expected, he looks nervous. He is already shaking his head before any words come out of his mouth. ''I have lost my family and my life, Sir. I would be honored to dedicate whatever is left of it to the Military.''

     ''Out of the question. You can't join the Corps out of anger. We need level-headed people,'' it almost sounds like Erwin had prepared this speech a long time ago. You stand your ground. 

     ''I watched my parents get eaten by an abomination and there was nothing I could do. I am not doing this out of anger, but if I stay put I will meet the same end, just like my parents did. Just like my brother did.'' The image of your parents holding tightly onto each other as they got picked up by a gigantic hand is still burnt in your eyes. Every time you're not focusing on what's in front of you that image is what you see. You wake up hearing the screams of your mother and father echoing in your brain and sometimes staying with you for the rest of the day. 

     ''I need this, Erwin,'' you're hoping that if you skip the formalities he will truly understand how lost you are. 

     ''You can work in the stables, they will need people,'' Erwin's face hardens. He picks up his belongings from the horse and turns to leave. ''I am not putting you in danger.'' 

     ''Everybody is in danger, the unthinkable has happened, do you expect me to think that this is where it stops?'' You're angry, confused and scared. The aftermath of the Titan attack is still heavy. Resources are running out and the tensions are rising, talks of who deserves what are filling each household. You have been working in the stables for the last few months, but they're not your stables. They're not your horses. It's all foreign and cold. For you to stay here and do nothing feels like death. The only people you recognize are those your brother fought alongside with.

     ''I'll train the brat,'' a low voice from somewhere behind you reaches your ears. You see Erwin turn his head and you follow his motions. Captain Levi looks as uninterested in the world as always, you wonder if the voice actually came from him or someone else. 

     ''Out of the question, Levi,'' Erwin's still standing his ground. Both of them knew your brother well. Your mother often invited Erwin and Levi for dinner. You always found it amusing to see Levi actually smile at someone, which always gave you a hint of jealousy towards your mother, which annoyed you, because your mother was an angel. Besides, you knew that he only did that to be polite. 

     ''She's been riding horses all her life, her core is ready for the ODM gear, she just needs to learn to use it without getting killed,'' Levi says matter-of-factly. You look at the Captain, in disbelief. You thought that Levi would be the one talking Erwin out of enlisting you. ''I will train her before and after the morning briefing. We need people, Erwin.'' 

     ''Very well,'' Erwin scans your face for a moment. He seems sorrowful. ''Her blood is on your hands, Levi.'' You watch him walk off. You will prove to him that you're worthy your family name. You will continue what your brother started. If you can save just one family from losing their loved ones to Titans, you will have achieved something.