Chapter 15: Don't Falter, Stand Strong

TL: Etude

After the demonstration of the new weapons, the soldiers were left to continue their training, while Paul, Knight Schroeder, and the officers of company level and above gathered in the castle hall for a meeting.

In front of all the officers, Paul announced the appointment of Schroeder as his Chief of Staff, explaining that this position was equivalent to the Chief of Staff in other armies. After introducing his newly established military system to the veteran knight, he conferred upon him the rank of Major, while his attendant, Joyce, was appointed as a Captain, temporarily serving as a staff officer.

Then came the discussion about the reasons for their previous defeat. The officers, one after another, read out their analyses written overnight about the last battle.

Finally, the young Count said, "Everyone's summaries are very detailed, and collectively, there are two main reasons: the new recruits' reluctance to fight and acting on their own accord. To solve this problem, I have decided to introduce drummers and buglers into the army, to cultivate a habit among the soldiers to move to the beat of the drum."

"On the battlefield, soldiers must march to the rhythm of the drum, neither rushing forward recklessly nor shrinking back in fear. The buglers will play two calls: the charge and the retreat. When the charge is sounded, they must charge forward, even if it leads into a hell of swords and fire. When the retreat is sounded, they must not linger even if gold and silver lie ahead."

"During battle, each unit's inspectors will supervise the discipline on the battlefield. Those who violate the aforementioned discipline will be punished, up to the death penalty, depending on the severity of the offense."

"Bryce, draft the detailed regulations. I want every soldier to memorize them and begin training immediately."

Bryce responded, "Yes, my Lord."

The veteran knight was surprised. Although this rural lord was still underage, he had quite unique insights into military affairs.

He suggested, "My Lord, I have learned about the previous battle. Please execute the soldiers who disobeyed orders and retreated without permission, to enforce military discipline."

"Ah... well... I have already sentenced them to hard labor in the mines..."

"Alright, since you have spared their lives, let it be for now. But next time, do not show such needless mercy." Re-punishing them for the same mistake would obviously affect Paul's authority.

"Let's discuss how we will fight the next battle..."

After witnessing the power of firearms, the officers were excited, most believing that with adequate equipment, victory in the next battle was assured.

Schroeder, however, had a different opinion: "Gentlemen, the Count showed us firearms to boost our confidence, not to make us arrogant. Remember, 'Pride comes before the fall.'"

Paul secretly gave a thumbs-up to the old knight's understanding.

Schroeder continued, "I believe in the next battle, we must not rely on firearms. We should make our soldiers win against the pirates in hand-to-hand combat, to overcome their inner fear and establish true confidence and a sense of honor."

"Right," agreed Paul. There was a saying on Earth by Suvorov, "A bullet is a fool, the bayonet a hero." Soldiers who dare to engage in bayonet fights are the true soldiers.

The meeting concluded with decisions to introduce signalmen and drummers, temporarily proposing four types of bugle calls: assembly, advance, retreat, and charge, to be gradually supplemented as the army developed.