Chapter 2: Beginning of a Life in Another World

TL: Etude

Paul Grayman yawned and stretched.

"Young Master Paul, forgive my frankness, but your actions just now hardly befit the heir of your esteemed family," Butler Philip pointed out his 'misconduct' once again.

"Here we go again." Paul muttered internally, straightening up.

Since waking up that morning, whether dressing, washing, or eating, the butler had been meticulously critical of his actions. And, to his chagrin, he discovered that 'toothbrushes and toothpaste' were twigs and salt, and 'soap' was made from pig pancreas – all natural.

Father Anderson had just visited again to confirm his health was no longer in jeopardy.

Upon waking up, Paul's mind was filled with fragmented memories of this body's past life. Apparently, he was the son of a count, and his previous behavior wasn't much different from the unruly and spoiled scions he knew from his previous life. Luckily, his body hadn't matured enough to have done any truly reprehensible deeds.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for his current situation, the body's father, the count, had led troops against pirates a few days ago. Deeming his son of age to witness combat, he had brought him along.

They were ambushed en route, and the count died heroically during their escape, while his son was knocked unconscious by a pirate's stone. Thanks to the family knights and guards who fought fiercely, they managed to return to the lord's castle with the body of the old Grayman and the unconscious young master.

With Paul in a coma and showing no signs of waking, the castle had to hold a funeral for the old count in his absence. By the time Paul awoke, a week had passed since his injury.

Butler Philip had been trying to help him recover his memory by recounting past events and answering any questions arising from his 'amnesia', saving Paul much effort.

"So, my father and I were ambushed by pirates, and my father has passed away?"

"Yes, those cursed, damned pirates. You must avenge the Count!" Philip, having served the old Grayman for decades, was visibly moved to tears by the memory.

"Don't worry, I'll avenge my father. I wish I could flay those pirates and eat their flesh," Paul said, knowing well what was expected of him.

"The pirates, emboldened by their recent victory, have been raiding the shores, taking advantage of the leaderless state of our land."

"Are they likely to attack here?"

"The knights have arranged defensive measures. Lakeheart Town is currently safe. Given your previous unconscious state, everyone decided to wait for your recovery before taking further actions. I've informed the stewards of your awakening. They will come this afternoon to discuss future strategies."

"Right, Philip, take me to my father's grave first."

As more fragments of 'Paul Grayman's' memories surfaced, he wondered whether he had usurped this body or if this was a reincarnation with retained memories. The thought of mourning at his father's grave stirred a sense of kinship, inclining him towards the latter.

If so, he resolved to live well in this new world as the heir of this family.

"I neglected that. Please, young master, do not be overly saddened. Your body has just recovered. The graveyard is behind the castle. Follow me."

...

In the afternoon, all stewards still in Lakeheart Town gathered in the castle's great hall. The mood was somber due to the recent loss of the lord, with everyone showing visible grief, a testament to the old count's popularity.