Chapter 4

[ɴᴏᴛᴇ: ᴀʟʟ ᴄʀᴇᴅɪᴛ ꜰᴏʀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀꜱ ɢᴏᴇꜱ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʀᴏᴅᴜᴄᴇʀꜱ ᴏꜰ ʜᴀʀʀʏ ᴘᴏᴛᴛᴇʀ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ꜱᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʀɪɢɪɴᴀʟ ᴘʟᴏᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀꜱ ᴛʜʀᴏᴡɴ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ. ᴄᴏᴘʏ-ᴡʀɪᴛᴇ ɴᴏᴛ ɪɴᴛᴇɴᴅᴇᴅ.]
———

Third Person’s POV

Mia stood opposite her mother, Emma, in the back of their house, the sun casting a warm glow over the training ground. Emma's expression was serious as she demonstrated various fighting stances and techniques to her daughter, instructing her on the dos and don'ts of combat.

"Keep your guard up, Mia," Emma said, her voice firm but gentle. "Remember to breathe and stay focused. And don't underestimate your opponent."

Mia nodded, eager to absorb her mother's teachings. They began to spar, the air crackling with anticipation. Mia launched a series of punches, kicks, and knee strikes, her movements fluid and precise. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't break through Emma's expertly crafted defense. Emma effortlessly dodged, parried, and countered each of Mia's attacks, her movements graceful and powerful.

Their exhanges intensified as they traded blows, the sound of their strikes echoing through the air. Mia's frustration grew as she struggled to find an opening in her mother's impenetrable guard. She attempted to execute a swift elbow strike, but Emma deftly evaded it.

Then, with a mischievous glint in her eye, Mia reached down and scooped up a handful of dirt, intending to throw it at her mother. Emma, sensing Mia's intentions, gave her a subtle nod of approval. However, as Mia hurled the dirt, Emma moved with lightning speed, sidestepping the attack and avoiding the flying particles.

Mia was left momentarily stunned by her mother's agility, and in that split second of distraction, Emma capitalized on the opportunity. She delivered a series of rapid body blows that knocked the wind out of Mia, causing her to stumble and fall to the ground.

It took a while for Mia to rose to her feet, but when she did, Emma gently placed a hand on her shoulder, her expression softening. “Mia, do you know how I knew what you were planning?” She asked.

Mia shook her head, still catching her breath from the intense sparring session.
“It was your eyes,” Emma explained. “Your eyes gave you away. In combat, your eyes reveal your intentions, your next move. You have to learn to control your focus and maintain a poker face, so your opponent can't predict your actions.”

Mia listened intently as Emma continued, “When you're in a fight, you have to be mindful of every aspect—your stance, your breathing, and especially your eyes. They can be the key to victory or defeat.” Emma's words sank in as Mia nodded in understanding. She realized the importance of maintaining a composed demeanor and concealing her intentions during battle.

“Remember, Mia,” Emma said, her voice firm but reassuring, “it's not just about physical strength, but also about mental fortitude and strategy. Stay focused, be adaptable, and anticipate your opponent's moves.”

Mia absorbed her mother's wisdom, grateful for the invaluable lessons she was learning. With a newfound determination, she straightened her posture and met Emma’s gaze with renewed resolve.

“Thank you, Mom,” Mia said with determination in her voice. “I'll work on improving my focus and masking my intentions. I want to become as skilled as you.”

Emma smiled proudly at her daughter's determination. “I have no doubt you will, Mia,” she said. “Now, let's continue training. You're making great progress, and I'm proud of you.”