chapter 29: weisz somewhat regrets joining the team

~weisz~

       I lie down directly on the sand, not even caring that it's going to stick to my wetsuit from just having finished surfing practice for the day. Whenever I surf on my own time, I can take it as slow and easy as I want. When I'm training, it's not that simple.

       I have been pushing myself a lot during practice because I feel like I have to catch up to them since I didn't surf at all last year, so it's no surprise that I'm completely out of breath by the time practice ended.

       The sun shines directly on my face, so I cover my eyes with my arm as I try to catch my breath. I hear someone walk up to me then sit down beside me. "You can't seriously be that out of breath by surfing," Karla says. 

       I don't reply to Karla, partly because I don't want to start an argument, but also because I'm too out of breath to talk right now.

       "Hey, I want to apologize for thinking that you paid your way to get on the team or something," Karla says. "I was just a bit upset because my best friend didn't make the team while you did even though you took a break for a year."

       I'm able to breath a bit more properly, so I say, "Not my fault. Take it up with Freida."

       "I did," Karla says. "And she helped me realize that it's never anyone's fault because someone didn't make the team. My best friend just... Wasn't better than anyone who made the team, unfortunately. Freida also told me there's a reason you can take breaks whenever you want, but she didn't get into it since it was obviously private matters, so... Sorry."

       While I am still annoyed with Karla and Kyle, though more so Kyle, I am appreciative that Karla still made the effort to apologize to me. And honestly, I get it why she's upset that her best friend didn't make the team. A lot of best friends love being on sports teams together, so when one doesn't make it, the other starts picking apart their teammates to see who could have possibly 'taken their spot'.

       "Thanks," I say.

       "Kyle told me that you and your girlfriend broke up," Karla says. "The one that always came to all the comps to support you."

       "Uh huh."

       "I'm sorry to hear that."

       "Don't be. I'm happier without her." I very much am. Reno makes me a lot happier than Marie ever did, especially when it came to my illness. I'll still forever love Reno for coming to the hospital every single day to visit me and coming to my house even when I was basically bedridden. He didn't care about doing anything with me. He just wanted to keep me company.

       "That's good," Karla says. "I mean, you did look very happy with her, so it's good to hear that you're doing well without her." Karla stands up. "And for what it's worth, I'm glad you're on the team. I'll see around." She walks off.

       I don't make an effort to move since I'm still a bit tired. I'm probably just going to relax here for a few minutes before getting up.

       Though a few minutes pass, and I still don't move. 

       Someone else walks over to me and lightly kicks my leg. Even though it didn't hurt, I say, "Ow," before moving my arm away from my eyes to see who the culprit is. Reno's standing beside me; he drives me to and from practice every time so I can focus on resting instead of driving.

       "I was just making sure you were alive," Reno says. "You good?"

       "Yeah," I say. "I was just exhausted after practice. I'm fine now, but I didn't feel like getting up. I still don't feel like getting up, to be honest." Despite me still wanting to lie down, I reach up towards him. "Help me up, please."

       Reno grabs my hand and pulls me to my feet. I can't help but give him a kiss simply because I wanted to. Reno smiles at me when I pull away. "You hungry? We can get some food?"

       "A bit, yeah," I say. "I just need to get my stuff."

       Reno and I head over to where I've left my belongings along with the rest of the team. Some of my teammates are just sitting and relaxing as they talk to each. I pick up my towel and use it to dry myself off and get as much sand off me as I can so I do get Reno's car all dirty.

       As I'm drying myself off, Freida walks over to me. "You did great at practice today, Weisz," she says.

       I smile. "Thanks."

       "But--"

       "Oh no. Not a but."

       Frieda chuckles. "Don't worry, it's not a bad one. But I would appreciate it if you didn't push yourself so hard. Of course, it's good to push yourself, but not to the point where it looks like you're about to collapse."

       Reno looks at me. "I will sit in on every single one of your practices and make sure you don't push yourself too hard."

       "Sorry, practices are closed," I say.

       "What if I just want to chill at the beach and you coincidentally have practice?"

       "Coincidentally? Reno, you know my practice schedule. You literally drove me here and you're here to pick me up. You're not going to sit in on my practices."

       "I don't know," Freida says. "If having your friend sit in on practice means you won't push yourself too hard, I may just allow it."

       "I've been friend-zoned," Reno says, like he does every single time someone refers to him as my friend without knowing that he's actually my boyfriend.

       "Stop doing that," I tell him. I look at my coach. "I promise, I won't push myself from now on. Possibly." I sigh. "Sorry, I just feel like I have a lot of catching up to do."

       "I understand that," Freida says. "But remember, you made the team because you're good enough. Look, I'm going to tell you something I normally don't tell other members of the team because I don't want to pit them against each other, but you always keep to yourself so I know you won't tell anyone. You're not what some may call the weakest link of the team. You don't have to worry about catching up with your teammates because you're already caught up with them."

       Frieda isn't the time of person to lie to make someone feel better. If I truly did have to catch up, she would have told me that, so I know she's not lying by telling me I'm already caught up. It does make me feel a bit better. "Okay. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind next practice."

       "Good," Freida says.

       "And if I find out you're pushing yourself too hard, I will sit in on practice," Reno says.

       "No, you won't," I say. "I don't need my boyfriend babysitting me."

       "Don't think of it as babysitting," I say. "Think of it as... I don't know, but it's not babysitting."

       "Right."

__________________

reno, probably: "whoa, this is such a coincidence wesiz. i didn't know you'd be at practice here. so strange."
weisz: "you literally dropped me off her five minutes ago."