chapter 12: reno hates ptsd

~reno~

       "How come your hotel room is better than ours?" Adam asks. We're all currently hanging out in Amelia and Jane's hotel room since, apparently, their's is the biggest. I thought they were kidding since we all had the same size.

       Turns out, theirs is actually bigger. The rest of ours was decent sized with it being the typical open room plan; no bedrooms. Just a bathroom in its own separate room. Not Amelia and Jane's. They both had their own bedroom.

       "Don't tell any of the teachers, but we paid for an upgrade," Amelia says. "We still have the one that our trip paid for, but I didn't feel like it was good enough for me. My mom and dad told me to always know my worth."

       "I don't think that it applies to hotel rooms," Jane says. "They're probably talking about making sure you have friendships and relationships that treat you well."

       "Hey, you agreed to paying for a better hotel room," Amelia says.

       "I never said I'm against the hotel. Just that your worth has nothing to do with the hotel you're staying in."

       "Yeah, and speaking of relationships," Marcel says, and I know exactly where this is going. I debate whether or not that I should hint to Amelia that I know who she has been hooking up with, but I decide to just let it play out. "Are you ever going to tell us who this mystery boy is?"

       "I did tell you," Amelia says. "It's this cute French guy I met."

       This is the first time the conversation has come up with me in the room, so I look at Adam to see what his reaction is in order to confirm whether or not I'm right, though I'm certain I am. Adam is currently strumming away on his ukulele without a care in the world. 

       That definitely confirms my suspicions. If he wasn't the mystery guy, we truly would be pouting about it. I mean, this is the guy that pouts when Amelia so much as mentions a cute guy. There's no way he would be acting so chill if it wasn't him.

       I want to say something to create some chaos, but maybe there's a reason Amelia and Adam haven't said anything yet. Which I should have thought about before telling Weisz, but Weisz isn't one to gossip. I know he'll keep it a secret.

       Maybe Adam and Amelia were worried about ruining the friend group's dynamic with their relationship since sometimes, friendship and relationships don't mix well if the relationship comes to a bitter end. Or maybe it's just a friends with benefits kind of thing so they didn't feel the need to tell anyone.

       Either way, it's not my business.

       "Amelia, we all know it isn't some French boy," Jane says. "You were literally telling all of us before the trip that you were going to find a cute French boy and have some kind of epic whirlwind romance. I know you would have bragged about it the moment that it happened."

       "You know, there's a bakery close by I've been wanting to try," Amelia says, probably trying to change the subject. "I was looking online for places to try and apparently, they have the best baked goods. Let's draw straws to see which one of us will go."

       "Fine, but you're not getting out of this so easily," Marcel says. "I am craving some chocolate croissants..."

       "No need to draw straws," I say. "I'll go and get everyone's orders."

       "Are you sure?" Jane asks.

       I nod, grabbing my phone so I can write down what everyone wants from the bakery. "I'm fluent in French so it will probably be easiest for me to go order."