} CHAPTER THREE {

} CHAPTER THREE {

The bright lights burned into my vision as I felt a headache begin to form. I felt out of place in Bev's Jeep surrounded by so many people in one place, all of them looking as intimidating as the next.

I kept my head down and my eyes locked onto the screen of my phone that resided in my hands, aimlessly scrolling through social media without much interest in what I was seeing.

I was just trying to keep myself busy and not think about the endless possibilities of what could have occurred within that house as Beverly took her time in studying the crime scene. I was struggling to contain the curiosity that festered inside my body, making me feel itchy all over, so my phone was a welcomed distraction.

However, after a while the noises coming from outside the car around me drew my attention and I couldn't help but glance up at the source of the latest noise. My eyes found the front of the house, the door swung right open and from my position in the car, I could see partially inside.

There were about three paramedics and a man clothed in white with a large camera in his hands. There was a large stretcher that had foldable wheels beneath it and it was currently laying flat on the ground so that was the noise I had heard.

The paramedics blocked my view of whatever was in front of them but it didn't take a genius to figure out what it was. Bev did mention that this was a double homicide. Then they moved around giving me a better angle.

It was a middle aged man with dark brown and light skin, he wore a light grey jumper and dark trousers but his clothes were stained with blood. His blood. He just laid there unresponsive on the floor, eyes wide open as they stared emptily in my direction.

But, then, his features changed. They shifted and morphed till it became a face I recognised. His hair grew lighter, his face shorter and a dark beard sprouted from his jaw. My headache grew worse as my breathing stopped and I couldn't tear my eyes away from his body and his light brown eyes. Even from this distance I knew what colour they were. Those eyes had burned themselves into my memory and I saw them every time I fell asleep.

I didn't realise I had unbuckled my seatbelt and stepped outside of Beverly's vehicle till I slammed the door shut, but it was too late for me to care. Her warning was thrown to the back of my mind as I approached the house. Nobody stopped me, they didn't even notice.

With each step closer I became more aware of what horror resided within that house. The blood, There was so much of it, splattered across the walls, pooled across the floors and bled into the clothing of the dead.

It was sickening. How could someone do something like this? The sight made me want to throw up but considering I hadn't eaten anything, there wasn't much to be worried about.

The blood dripping from every surface brought back horrifying memories that I would rather keep buried and I felt my heart begin to pick up pace. I just attempted to push those thoughts away and focus on what was in front of me, knowing they would be brought back up tonight once I had fallen asleep.

I entered the house with shaky hands and ragged breath. My eyes still trained on the body now only a few feet from me. From here what once were lifeless eyes were now filled with hatred and anger, all pointed directly at me as his eyes followed every movement I made.

But suddenly, someone pushed past me, knocking into my shoulder and dragging my attention away from the man on the floor. They muttered a half-assed apology before rushing up the stairs and disappearing into one of the rooms.

With slight disorientation I turned back to the body. The paramedics had now loaded him onto the stretcher, his body wrapped into a black body bag but before they zipped it up completely I noticed his features had changed again. They had morphed back into the man from before with darker hair and his face was clean shaven.