Chapter One

Lacey knew when the phone rang at three in the morning; it wasn't Publisher's Clearing House calling to tell her she had won a million dollars. Whoever was calling was 99 percent guaranteed to be bearing unwelcome news, and she wasn't sure she could handle it at this point in her life.

"Hello," Lacey spoke quietly into the phone. She had her eyes tightly clenched, and her jaw set in preparation for the unwelcome news that was undoubtedly forthcoming.

"Miss Walters, this is Detective Blake Floyd. I'm with the New York Police Department, and I'm afraid I have some bad news to tell you."

"Oh God, you're scaring me, what happened?" Lacey asked with trepidation, she sat straight up in bed, her heart pounded away at maximum speed.

"Miss. Walters I am sorry to have to tell you this over the telephone, but your sister Lorena, her husband Scott, and their daughter Grace were involved in a head on collision around mid-night, and both Lorena and Scott were killed instantly.

The ambulance rushed Grace to the Children's Hospital, and she is currently in Pediatric Intensive Care in critical condition. I'm so sorry."

"Oh. No! This cannot be happening! Has anyone called my mother? How did it happen? Who hit them? What are Grace's injuries?" Lacey was rattling off questions and struggling to catch her breath.

"Miss Walters, you need to calm down and take a deep breath. I have already spoken to your mother, and she is on her way to the hospital. She asked me to call you and inform you of the situation."

"Thank you for calling me Detective. I need to get to the hospital now." Lacey quickly hung up the phone, and then picked it back up again. There was only one person she wanted with her at a moment like this. It had been five years since Ryan had chosen his job over her, five long years since she had heard his voice, and she needed the comfort that only he could bring. Crossing her fingers, Lacey pressed speed dial number one and prayed he had time to lift her up again.

"Hello?" Ryan answered after the second ring, sounding alert and more than a touch concerned at the late-night phone call. He knew he wasn't on duty, so no one should be calling him now.

"Ryan its Lacey," she told him, her voice thick with tears.

"What's the matter? You, ok?" confused about the call. He hadn't spoken to Lacey in a long time, not since the night he left, and he had a feeling this was not a social call.

"Ryan, I...I....um...I need your help. My car is in the shop and Samantha is out of town. Oh, God, this is such a nightmare. My sister was killed in a car accident tonight and their daughter was taken to the Children's Hospital. I know I have no right to ask you for anything, but Ryan, could you please give me a ride?"

"Oh, Sweetheart, I'm so sorry." Using the pet name, he always called her. "What's your address?" Taking a pen and notebook from the nightstand he quickly wrote down the information. "I should be there in about twenty minutes." Ryan said and disconnected.

When Ryan knocked on her apartment door seventeen minutes later, he received no answer, checking the door he found it unlocked and pushed it open. Walking into the living room he found Lacey curled up in a ball on the floor sobbing. He silently walked over to her and picked her up. He carried her over to her couch and sat down, cradling her to his chest. He held her, and stroked her long blonde hair, while quietly whispering soothing words to her.

Several moments passed before Lacey finally calmed down, but still wouldn't raise her head from his shoulder.

"Lacey, look at me." Ryan gently tipped her chin up so he could look into her eyes. "I'm so sorry about your sister, Sweetheart. What happened?"

"A Detective from the NYPD called and said they were hit head-on. Lorena and Scott were killed instantly." Lacey began crying again, her voice was muffled behind her hands as she tried valiantly to wipe away the endless tears that were falling. "Grace is alive, but critical. I need to get there to find out what's going on. My mother should already be there, and if I know her, she is hysterical to say the least."

"Ok, sweetheart, go wash your face and get dressed, I'll wait out here for you." Lacey started to get up, but Ryan held her tight and leaned in to place a gentle kiss on her lips before releasing her. "Whatever you need, I'll be here to help you, Lacey. I promise I won't leave you again" she kissed him on the cheek and got off his lap and headed for her bathroom. Stopping her with a hand on her arm, she once again turned back to face him.

Looking at her took his breath away, he forced the lump from his throat. "I just wanted to apologize to you for the way I left. I know I have no right to ask, but I hope someday you can forgive me."

I can't think about that right now, but I appreciate you taking the time to

drive me to the hospital.

Sighing, Ryan just nodded. "Go get dressed, well talk about everything later."

"Okay. Thanks again."