Part 20 |A Daring Escape|

Despite Tommy's acts of kindness, I couldn't stay here like this. I still had to get out. But I don't think I will be able to hurt Tommy to do that.

Another couple days passed by. I played nice. But when Tommy wasn't around I tested my limits. I would reach as far as I could to see what I could possibly grab without ripping my foot off.

    Luckily I was able to grab a small knife, I wrench, and a sharp piece of scrap metal off a little work bench. Whenever Thomas would come down, I would stash what I had collected under the blanket and pillows. I used the metal piece to scrap at the concrete wall, and the wrench to twist the chain. I was able to get the chain loose from the wall! Similar to the objects, I just covered the damage with a pillow.

    He never noticed.

    The next day when Thomas came downstairs, I had come to a decision, today would be the day I follow through with my plan... or die trying.

    "Tommy?" I spoke up after finishing my breakfast. He looked at me, curiosity in his brown eyes. "Could you bring Vilmer down here?" The curiosity was replaced with utter confusion. "I just want to apologize to him... for the other day." He just stared for a moment, probably questioning my sincerity before bobbing his head a couple times.

    He picked up the dishes, when upstairs, and I could hear the quiet sound of voices through the floor. Within the minute, both Tommy and Vilmer were coming down the stairs. I had really hoped Thomas wouldn't have come down, but if this is how it had to be, then I wouldn't ruin my shot.

    Vilmer huffed, "whatdya want?" His tone was gruff as if he'd just woken up.

    "I just wanted to say..." I swallowed the lump of fear swelling in my throat, "I'm sorry... for biting you." I was putting on my best performance. I had to be convincing.

    He looked at Tommy with similar confusion to how Tommy looked at me earlier, "sorry?" He questioned.

     I nodded sheepishly, "I'm really sorry." This was perfect, Vilmer was closer to me than Tommy was. It was as if he was hiding by the stairs, afraid to be seen.

     This was the time to strike. Vilmer was in a confused daze when I lunged at him, knife in hand. He tried to react, but I was to fast, stabbing him directly in the heart. I wasn't aiming for it, I was aiming for his ribs. I didn't mean to kill him, but judging by where the knife was sitting, he would die within a matter of minutes... seconds if he takes the knife out.

     Blood sputtered from his mouth as he weakly cried in his pained state. It would be over soon, but something about the way he cried reminded me of the thoughtful little boy he once was. "I... I'm sorry," I whispered as he toppled to the floor, "I didn't mean too... I..." I was at a loss for words.

    Tommy started to yell, flailing his arms around, as if not knowing what else to do. "Y/N..." Vilmer coughed out my name, "Y/N?" His voice was child-like. Like a little kid calling to his mother. I knelt down next to him, leaning my ear by his face. "None of this... was supposed to happen..." I looked in his eyes, seeing a touch of humanity in them. "We wanted to save you from them," he was talking about my old friends. My dead friends. "We wanted to... protect you from them... we... I didn't want to hurt you," blood poured from his lips, "don't let Tommy get hurt because of me." All I could do was nod as a tear slid down my cheek. I stood up while Tommy continued to scream and cry, alerting who I could guess was Tex upstairs. I tried to walk over to the stairs and rush past Thomas, but Vilmer caught my ankle. I looked at him one last time, "I'm sorry." He breathed out. But he didn't breath back in, and his arm went limp.

    Tommy ran over to his brother, dropped to his knees, and hugged him close. He was mumbling incoherently.

    I ran up the stairs in hopes to beat Tex to the door. I wasn't so lucky. I burst out of the basement into the brightly illuminated house. The light of day almost stunned me, but then I was greeted by a very angry Tex, standing right in between me and the front door.

     "Please, don't make this harder than it has to be!" I pleaded to deaf ears.

    "What did you do?!" Tex practically growled, looking at my bloodied hands.

    "I couldn't just stay chained up in your fucking basement for the rest of my life!" I saw his face shift from anger to a sort of understanding. Yes, he was still upset, but part of him realized that I was just a scared little girl trying to keep her life. But that flash of humanity was over come quite quickly.

    "You killed them didn't you... my baby brothers..."

    "No- I could never do that to Tommy... I could never hurt him!" My breathing was just as fast as my heart rate.

    "Vilmer?" I saw his jaw muscle flex. I looked away. I genuinely hadn't meant to kill him, especially not in front of Tommy. "I can't let you go," he voice cracked, "and I can't let you live either." A smile similar to his that of his dead brothers tugged at his lips.

    "Tex, please don't."

    He charged at me, but at the exact same moment Tommy burst through the basement door. He saw me, then saw Tex. Quickly he jumped between us, tackling his brother to the ground. "What the hell Thomas!" Tex yelled, struggling against his brother sheer strength and weight.

    I watch in horror as the two wrestled, continuously looking between them and my way out. "Go..." Tommy dole weakly. I couldn't move. He looked up at me, keeping his brother pinned, "go!" He said louder, though I could feel the sadness on his voice.

    I started to move away slowly before breaking into a full sprint.

    I flung the front door open and was bombarded by the bright sun and fresh air.

    I kept running. I ran and ran for so long my legs gave out. My knees slammed on the pavement, my ankle was throbbing. I hadn't even realize the chain was still attached to my hood ankle. In the distance I could see the vague shape of a building. Despite the painful protests of my weak legs, I got up and pressed on.

    As I got closer, I saw it was a gas station. I waved my arms around with the little strength I had, catching the attention of a worker.

    The worker was a young boy, not much older than me. I fell into his arms, I didn't care who he was, I just need someone. Anyone.

    The confused boy brought me into the little shop. He sat me down behind the register, wrapped in what I think was his coat, then called the cops.

    They got there quickly. But I had passed out before they arrived. Next think I knew I was in a hospital bed. My father and two cops standing by the doorway.

Word count: 1200+

A/N- I am currently starting to work on a Micheal Emerson (from The Lost Boys) x Reader, so that will probably be my next story :P