1.9 BALANCE OUT

september 18 2149

september 18 2149

ARIA WOKE GINGERLY, she could tell it was morning by the sound of birds, but that dawn, they're agreed-upon departure time, had long passed. Bellamy had let her sleep. She rubbed her eyes. Slowly, she roused herself, feeling the weight of a heavy, dark jacket draped over her form. Bellamy's, she realized with a mix of gratitude and sheepishness. Embarrassed by her vulnerability the night before, she pushed the jacket aside and stretched, trying to shake off the lingering traces of weariness.

"Morning." she greeted Charlotte and Bellamy with a soft smile, her eyes still heavy with sleep. "How long did you let me sleep?"

"A few hours," Bellamy replied, returning her smile. "Figured you needed it after 3 days of taking care of Jasper. Plus, I wasn't sure the fog was clear."

Aria mulled this over before she decided whether or not to be annoyed, she had needed sleep, but she also needed to get back to Jasper as soon as possible if she was going to save his life.

She needed to know whether Clarke had survived.

"Thanks, but we really should get going." They nodded and gathered their things. Aria snatched up her own discarded jacket that she'd given Charlotte. Much better.

Bellamy led them out of the cave. "It's all clear. Anybody out here? Jones?"

"We're here!" One of the others, Jones, from the hunting party yelled back. They hiked towards the voices. Without the fog chasing them, Aria could truly appreciate the beauty of the frost. Tall trees covered with moss. Low bushes speckled with flowers. The sunlight cutting through the leaves, dancing on the muddy floor. Aria couldn't help but marvel at the serene spectacle, momentarily forgetting the pressing concerns that lay ahead.

Luckily they weren't far. But Aria only counted three. The other boy, Atom, was not with them. A pit of fear grew in her stomach.

"Lost you in the stew." Bellamy came to a halt. "Where'd you go?"

"Made it to a cave down there." One of the others said.

Jones frowned, "The hell was that?"

"Some kind of acidic fog, most likely sulphuric. Probably, a leftover impact from radiation on the hydrological cycle.." The others gave her a blank look. Sensing their confusion, Aria lapsed into silence, her thoughts consumed by the looming question of Atom's whereabouts.

"Where's Atom?" Bellamy asked, ignoring her. Jones merely shrugged in response, adding to the growing unease that gripped Aria's chest. This was not good.

They started to search the woods aimlessly, calling out for their lost companion. The woods didn't seem so beautiful now. Time blurred into an indistinguishable haze as they combed through the undergrowth, each passing moment only heightening their anxiety. Then she heard Charlotte scream.