Chapter 16

Nathan felt Logan's eyes on him for the entirety of the car ride to the hotel in Nashville. He figured Logan's eyes must've been cold, calculating, and demeaning, probably filled with pent-up resentment and anger. Because of this, he refused to glance beside him, instead, his own eyes stayed downward as he tinkered with his fingers on his lap like a scolded child. His palms were clammy despite the AC being on, and the spike in his heart rate never seemed to go away since he first came into the vehicle with Logan. They weren't alone, though. They were in the backseat, and a driver sat in front, although he paid them no mind. He didn't know why he needed to be at the real estate event—he hadn't worked for a long time, and his job wasn't as important as the others who Logan picked out to attend. Then it hit him: He was just there to be Logan's relief; like a cheap whore, was what Logan once referred to him as. He didn't think of himself as a whore, but he agreed to this so he must've been one.

"... Nathan? I'm talking to you," Came Logan's surprisingly soft voice before a heavy palm appeared on Nathan's shoulder. Nathan jerked, and for the first time since the drive, he looked at the younger man. His face must've shown his despair over the entire situation because a troubled gleam flashed across Logan's face the moment their eyes clashed. A second later, Logan said, "We're at the hotel. Follow me." Then he opened the door and left without another word.

Before up and leaving, the older man watched the other two cars pull up from behind with the other five of his colleagues. They were staying at Four Seasons, fully paid for in complementary of Anderson's Estate. He wasn't complaining because that meant he had a whole room to himself; however, he would also be forced to interact with Jackson and Sashia daily for the next two days. Perfect, just what he needed. At least Andrea was there. There were also Dean and Tyler, two men from the second department who he wasn't acquainted with.

With a heavy sigh, Nathan opened the car door and stepped outside.

"Well aren't you special?" Nathan gasped when Jackson popped up from behind him like a slithering snake, threw an arm over his shoulder, and said in a sarcastic tone, "I'm still trying to figure out why you're here. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but you don't contribute much—if anything—to the company."

Nathan rolled his eyes before removing Jackson's arm from his shoulder. "Fuck off," he said.

Jackson stood in front of Nathan, stopping him in his tracks. "Tell me what's your secret? You're buttering up to Anderson, aren't you? You know, he never lets any of his employees sit in his car."

Nathan pushed past him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Of course you know what I'm talking about—you're an ass-kisser," Jackson sneered from where he stood, unmoving while he watched Nathan walk away. "Just so you know, Anderson likes men. I wouldn't be caught dead with the likes of him alone. You know what they say about men with money... I'm telling you this for your own good, Das!"

Nathan placed a palm over his racing heart hoping to quiet it down as he spedwalk over to the registration desk where Logan, Andrea, Sashia, Dean, and Tyler were waiting. He should've never come to Nashville; he should've pressed Logan harder, begged him harder to stay behind. This was a mistake, his colleagues would be watching him like a hawk because they were nosy and liked to be in everybody's business. What if Logan did something in front of them? Logan wasn't reckless though, he wouldn't jeopardize his idiotic blackmailing scheme just to let everything be out in the open, would he? No! Absolutely not. Nathan took a deep inhale and exhaled when he neared them—all of their eyes were on him; however, Logan's eyes seemingly carried concern.

"Sorry, got caught up," he said to no one in particular with a tight smile when he arrived.

Logan gave him a once over before his soft eyes morphed into steel ones. "Took you long enough. I thought I told you to follow me?"