[29] Start of Disaster

Start from the beginning

I peeked out of the back of the van, coughing as a huge gust of sand and dust blew into my face. We were literally in the middle of nowhere. I had thought the Viridian Estate, being surrounded by endless forest was bad---but my god, it felt like we were in a freaking different country now!

There were infinite fields spread out all around us with nothing but telephone poles dotting the highway side. You could see nothing going on for miles---except we seemed to be parked beside a gas station. Or a bar. Why did everything seem to be a bar now?

I gazed up into the open sky, which was now bright with noon. So much had already happened that day---though since it happened all so early morning, it felt almost dreamlike. Even now, it was hard to distinguish if I was hallucinating or not. I think I may have passed out in the van sometime... though when, I don't exactly recall. I was surprised that nothing had happened to me during my 'nap'---considering I was in a van full of criminals, you think the last thing on their minds was to 'sleep peacefully and leave the only girl in the van alone', don't you think?

I frowned, noticing the row of uniformed guards who stood protectively on the edge of the path leading up to the gas station, standing guard. They were probably equipped with the usual arms, and kept glancing at me strangely because I was wearing the same uniform as them from before. Whoop-dee-doo.

My thoughts were suddenly cut short as a pebble hit my face, and I whipped my head around, coming face to face with the jerk. Lovely.

"Hey toots, you coming out too?" He asked brazenly, stretching obnoxiously with grunting sounds for emphasis. I was the only one left, and the trunk seemed fairly spacious now that about a dozen people had left.

"I'll pass. I'm going to stay here." I insisted. And try to find a chance to escape, somehow. I hoped.

"You serious? You won't be able to take a leak for at least two or three more hours after! Got a bladder of steel or something?" He chuckled, scratching his chin. I frowned.

"Too much information, thank you." I retorted, huddling back into the corner. "You can go take your leak over there away from the van, thank you." I stated sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"Whoa whoa, Princess here is picky, ain't she?" He snorted. I glared at the seat, hoping that my venomous glare would reach him somehow.

 "Suit yourself. I heard there's some hot babe at the bar, though." He shrugged his shoulders as he began to walk away. I had already began to zone out until something significant passed his lips.

"Can you repeat that?" I demanded, startled as I turned around sharply.

"Huh?" He asked, now quite a distance away. "I'd tap that?" He offered smugly, placing both his arms behind his head. I clicked my tongue, making a face as I emerged from the van, practically blown over by another gust of wind.

"Not that, you stupid jerk. Before that." I urged, trying to resist the urge to tackle him to the ground in frustration. He rubbed the back of his neck, looking up into the sky as though contemplating deeply.

"She's got really nice---"

"BEFORE THAT." I exclaimed angrily, holding back another temptation to have a crazy outburst.

"...I think she's the Celandine chick...?" He whispered, now resembling a frightened puppy.

"Yeah, that!" I exclaimed, hobbling towards him. "Are you sure? The Celandine chick? As in Alyssa?" I demanded impatiently, now eying the gas station with interest.

"Right, that's here name. Yeah, it's her. You guys pals or something?" He asked.

I did not answer.