[23] Exchange

"Linette. Linette, sweetie, can you hear me?"

The anxious voice sounded over and over again until my eyes fluttered open feebly. Blinking, I turned towards Alyssa, who was grasping my hand tenderly. Her eyes were full of worry.

"Please, don't be like this. I'm sure he'll wake up soon." Alyssa pleaded, staring at me with sad, sympathetic eyes.

"I'm fine, Alyssa. You should probably console Ares, he's not looking too good right now." I added, trying to muster a smile to stop her anxiety.

I felt so bad hurting her, seeing as she was terribly worried about me---but I just couldn't stop.

Trying not to blush, I stared at Leon's perfected, sculpted face. He had long eyelashes, pouting lips and soft skin that belonged to a child. Somehow, it felt like he was still stuck in those days of the past---in those days where he and Arc were... siblings.

But that just added to the confusion---how was that possible? Was Van Arc's father? That wasn't possible. Arc and Leon both had the brilliant blonde hair that Adonis did. But what did that make Ares? Leon's brother, too? But that didn't fit at all! If Arc and Leon were twins, then why didn't they both just stay with the father? Why was Leon forced to become Van's son?

Bending over, I brushed my fingers through Leon's hair, still slightly surprised as I saw traces of blonde roots through his dark-brown hair.

"Hey, it's not good to creep people in their sleep like that." Leon chuckled, opening his green eyes.

The soft voice I knew so well.

The piercing eyes that unsettled my heart.

"Leon..." I sobbed, tears trickling down my cheeks as I leapt over to hug him, his heartbeat thudding against my ear. I wasn't dreaming! He was finally awake!

"Ow, ow---are you sure you should be doing that to an injured person?" He added with a chuckle, and I quickly backed away, heat flushing up to my cheeks.

"S-Sorry, I was so overjoyed that I just---"

"You just?" Leon smirked, raising an eyebrow tauntingly.

"I just..." I could feel myself going beet-red.

"Come here, you silly girl." He laughed, grabbing me with both hands into a warm embrace. "I missed you." He whispered, his soft but serious voice startling me.

"L-Leon?" I stammered. My heartbeat was going nuts here!

"You have no idea how I felt, did you? Seeing you almost get married to that guy... seeing you getting torn apart... seeing that expression on your face..." There was pain in his voice.

"Leon..." I whispered, my hands wrapping around his back. I really loved him. Why was I so embarrassed to admit it before? "Let me go get everyone else, they've been worried sick about you." I added, slowly pulling away though I was stopped.

"No. I want to stay with you a little longer. Let me be a little selfish now, please?" He closed his eyes, leaning his head against my back. I froze in place, my eyes closing as I felt his fingers intertwine with mine.

Finally, everything was right again.

---

"Oh-ho-ho what is this sight I see? Hmmm?" A mocking voice exclaimed shrilly.

"Huh? Yeah I do want another chocolate chip muffin..." I mumbled, nuzzling into warmth.

"Jeez Linette, didn't know you were so passionate. Is this going to be part of routine now or what? Not that I don't mind." Leon's chuckle startled me as I felt it through my body.