infinite

⎯⎯ ୨ ୧ ⎯⎯

⎯⎯ ୨ ୧ ⎯⎯

the click of a door sounded, with footsteps padding in after. aether set down his bags and his viola, surveying the room he'd be staying in for the next three days. it was the night of the audition. they had already gotten their results back, and had to room with their stand partner. tomorrow, they will finally start to prepare for the festival as a whole.

the room was small, but it was still cozy. a tv sat in one corner of the room, with two armchairs and a wooden coffee table surrounding it. there was a balcony on the wall adjacent to the tv, showing off a wide expanse of cityscape and the moon beginning to inch onto the arch of the sky. two twin-sized beds were pushed against the wall. with a dresser in between the two. one of the beds was already occupied by a person sleeping in a fetal position, with slow, even breaths coming out of them.

their bag and viola lay neatly against the bed, still unpacked. hoping to not disturb them, aether quietly made his way to the balcony, gently pulling the curtain closed and stepping outside onto the balcony.

a cool breeze whistled through his hair, a welcome contrast to the hot temperature of the hotel room. the sound of bustling traffic and humans met his ears, while also accompanied by the faint sound of instruments.

the thought of practicing had fleeted across his mind, but he dismissed it. he had received his folio along with his results, but he hadn't really looked at the pieces they were playing. the opening of the balcony door made aether turn around to see xiao walk out.

his hair was slightly messier and his whole body still drooped with sleep.

"oh." xiao said, "aether, right?"

aether smiled when xiao remembered his name, "yeah, that's me. sorry if i woke you up."

"you didn't wake me up. it's fine." the black haired boy spoke abruptly. silence filled the air as both boys drank in the sight of the city.

aether looked ethereal in the moonlight, xiao subconsciously thought. his blonde hair was braided and fell down his back, with stray pieces of hair framing his face. the starwash of white fell on him, highlighting his collarbones and skin. he had changed out of his audition clothes into something more comfortable, a black graphic hoodie and baggy cargo jeans.

xiao on the other hand, got his white button down and black dress pants wrinkled from his sleep. the conversation he had with kuni before he fell asleep replayed in his mind.

"Ii'm here for you now." kuni had said. but was he really? would he truly be there for xiao when he needed it most? the boy felt silly questioning this. he should trust kuni. he shouldn't be thinking about this.

"are you okay?" aether peered at xiao, startling him out of his overthinking. he realized with a start that he had zoned out while staring at aether.

a red tint spread across xiao's face. "yeah, i just zoned out."