06:00 - KIT

Thursday 15th May

That was the first time I'd witness someone die, right before my eyes. I wanted to throw up. And yet something so terribly sick within me could not take my eyes away as I watched the life slowly, and yet so quickly be drained from the woman. And somehow, she still looked so alive in the most disturbing way - sat down in a restaurant, facing who was most likely her husband, her feet still touched the ground and her hands the table. I couldn't watch any longer, and suddenly I found myself on my knees, face down to the nearest plant, just by the restaurant's window - actually throwing up.
I heard a soft sigh coming from Eden in that moment, while it felt like my guts were being turned inside out. "I get it." Looking up at her, I had nothing to say. I sat there, embarrassed as she attempted to use her sleeve to wipe around my mouth. Her eyes looked down at me like I was an infant to feel bad for. I was quick to stop her and did it myself.
Meanwhile, the look on Will's face was pure confusion, flushed by sympathy as if he'd known the lady, or like he had some sort of part to play.

At this point I felt that we'd reached a dead end, like when you know what you want to write but somehow you can't find the words, then the chapter is left blank for a few days.
We knew why we were here, we'd seen the truth, but what now? We couldn't prove Reyes' innocence straight after the incident when she hadn't been questioned yet. And even just knowing she hadn't done it wasn't enough evidence.
As for not knowing what was next, maybe I spoke too soon, no - I really did, because it didn't take too long for the three of us to be met with three muscular men in uniform. Police. It was obvious as to why they were here, but now it had to be our problem.
They dauntingly glared us up and down thoroughly and before one of them could utter a word, Will decided to take matters into his own hands.
"We're just waiting for the forty-six bus." He stuttered in a childlike manner
"Really, no harm intended."
The policemen continued to stare us down, scrutinising our every breath.
"Guess they aren't the brightest." Will continued in a whisper.
At this rate I was lost as to why we hadn't heard a word from the policemen, but it did seem like a good moment to flee the scene.

I grabbed Eden by the arm, disregarding the look of confusion on her face as I did so, and to follow, I began to carelessly run into the road, expecting that Will would follow.
"GUYS WAIT FOR ME!" He screeched, his voice in the distance gradually approaching us on his skateboard. The friction of his wheels against the concrete was enough to outrun the police, but also made a horrid noise.
I looked back in the distance, locking eyes with the men chasing us.
I'd never been in a situation quite like this one, unless you count me walking away as Will prattles on about, well - I'm not sure as I never really listened.
"I can run on my own, you know that, right?" Reyes said in a voice of exhaustion, like her breath could not catch up to her lungs.
"Really? You seem to be out of breath." I snickered back. She then rolled her eyes and pulled her arm from my grip.
I could hear, and somehow feel the footsteps of those large, and armed men get somewhat closer to us, igniting a spark of genuine fear within me. I hated trouble, being told off, the disappointed look you get from any adult in authority - as a child I'd cry when my favourite teacher snapped at me, and detentions were my arch nemesis.
The thought of being held down to the ground by police, let alone being arrested made me sick with fear, and there they were, rapidly moving their legs towards us like we were prey.

Distracted in a thought pool of my fears, I was snapped back to reality as I came face to face with a massive car, the only noise audible was the familiar, and yet powerful sound of a car honking, followed by a round of the same noise from other cars behind. Before my mind could utter a thought, I felt a pounce incoming from behind me. It felt like plastic wheels pressed against my lower back, smashing me straight into the road's concrete. I choked on those miniature stones that typically get caught in one's shoe - it wasn't nice. I laid on my side on the other end of the road, just praying to any higher power that I wouldn't throw up again.

"KIT!! Did you see that? That might've been my HIGHEST OLLIE!!"
Of Course it had to be Will.
"No, Will. I didn't see it but I sure did feel it."
"My bad." He chortled back, offering his hand to help me up. The sky, still bright and blue, framed his face as though he were an angel collecting me from my death - and I certainly did feel like I had died for a moment there. "I did save you though, if future you got hit by a car and died a few weeks in the past then tomorrow you wouldn't exist. Wait. Would he?"
"Where did the police go?" I groaned, taking Will's hand as he pulled me back up with little to no effort. He smoothly stepped on his board for it to flick back up into his grasp.
"Oh, they followed Eve."
"She isn't here?"
Will shook his head.
For some moments, I stood pondering as to whether going after her was a smart thing to do. We lived in a big city, Reyes could have been anywhere.
"Maybe they got her?" Will suggested. I dismissed that possibility by simply remembering that brutal punch she had swung at me, that of course, she'd have no memory of - but my eye was still lightly bruised and I had no doubt that she would hesitate to defend herself if those men came close to her by an inch. I then remembered the power held by the book that had caused all this and how I could've asked it to give me teleportation, or clairvoyance to find Reyes - then in just the snap of a finger our problem would be solved. It would've been easy - but it wasn't. My pocket was empty and I was stupid to not have noticed it earlier.
Did she swipe the book?! I thought to myself in pure irritance, it made my blood run cold.
"Let's just walk around until we find her, I don't really know what else to do." I sighed.