9: In a suit

1

1.3k

As Isadora prepared for the mission, her hands moved with purpose, packing her belongings methodically into her travel bag. But as she reached into her drawer to retrieve a spare datapad, her fingers brushed against something unexpected. With a furrowed brow, she pulled out a small velvet-lined box, her heart skipping a beat as she recognized it instantly.

Inside the box lay the necklace that Anakin had given her on her 16th birthday, a delicate crystal pendant glimmering in the dim light of her room. Memories flooded her mind, the warmth of their friendship mingling with the pain of their estrangement. For a moment, she hesitated, her fingers hovering over the necklace as conflicting emotions battled within her.

But then, with a resolute nod, Isadora made a decision. She carefully placed the necklace into her luggage, tucking it away amongst her belongings as a silent reminder of the bond they once shared. It was a gesture of defiance, a refusal to let go of the past entirely, even as she embarked on a new chapter of her life.

As she zipped up her bag and slung it over her shoulder, Isadora felt a sense of determination settle over her. Whatever challenges lay ahead, she knew that she carried with her a piece of her past, a beacon of hope amidst the uncertainty of the future. And with a firm resolve, she strode out of her room, ready to face whatever trials awaited her on the journey ahead.

On the ship bound for their mission, the tension between Anakin and Isadora was palpable, hanging heavy in the air like a thick fog. They sat across from each other in silence, their expressions guarded and their words clipped as they avoided each other's gaze.

Anakin's jaw was set in a tight line, his brows furrowed in frustration as he glared out the viewport, his thoughts consumed by the looming mission ahead. Beside him, Isadora fidgeted with the straps of her bag, her eyes narrowed in annoyance as she stole occasional glances in Anakin's direction.

Finally, unable to bear the suffocating silence any longer, Isadora broke the tension with a sharp exhale. "You know, you could at least pretend to be civil," she muttered, her voice tinged with irritation.

Anakin shot her a withering glare, his patience wearing thin. "Civil?" he scoffed, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "Why should I bother being civil to someone who can't even follow a simple order without questioning it?"

Isadora bristled at his words, her temper flaring as she met his gaze head-on. "Maybe if your orders weren't so reckless, I wouldn't have to question them," she retorted, her voice laced with defiance.

Anakin's eyes flashed with anger, his fists clenching at his sides as he struggled to rein in his temper. "Reckless?" he shot back, his voice rising in frustration. "I'm just trying to get the job done, Isadora. Maybe if you stopped second-guessing me at every turn, we could actually make some progress."

Isadora's nostrils flared with indignation, her cheeks flushing with anger as she leaned forward, her voice dropping to a dangerous whisper. "I'm not second-guessing you, Anakin," she hissed, her eyes blazing with intensity. "I'm trying to save us from making a catastrophic mistake."