Chapter 15: She's Mine Too

• • •

"In life, we always fall for the person who
will never fall for us, always want things
we can't have, and say things we shouldn't."

- Zayn Malik

• • •

• {Dawson Ledger} •

A gross mash-up of Ayesha Erotica's S&M and Pussy Poppin by Rico Nasty played over the speakers in a ritualistic way as barely covered bodies grinded against one another. It was like those cults that get shut down on national television for being too cult-like. I took a long swig of the drink Gavin had dropped into my hand as I watched with an unbothered expression the dozens of people get lost within a bad rhythm.

"I'm gonna get you shift-faced tonight, Daws," Gavin said with promise in his ton, hitting a fist on his chest as if the gesture would prove just how serious he was.

Teddy, the newest addition to the friend group, pushed at Gavin scoldingly. "What did we say about being a bad influence."

"Dude it's Christmas break give me a fucking break," Gavin groaned but pushed away his drink nonetheless.

Teddy hummed in approval but then our hands snapped towards the noise that went thunk. Our eyes led us to Ethan, who had just arrived back in Mercedes from his abroad studies, and was the one to orchestrate this meeting. He was sitting at the end of the table in his armchair in a villainous pose.

"Who invited the kill joy?" Ethan asked nonchalantly, eying Teddy who shrunk underneath his cold gaze.

I rolled my eyes at Ethan and punched his side with my drink. "Just get shit-faced and stop whining."

Ethan shrugged his shoulders and then handed Teddy a drink which the boy accepted reluctantly.

"You heard what he said," Ethan spoke to Teddy in a mocking tone. "Just get shit-faced and stop whining."

"Dude when did you get so mean," Gavin grumbled, taking the drink in Teddy's hand and drinking it down. Teddy looked thankful but Gavin didn't spare him a glance.

"When did you care?" Ethan retorted with an amused scoff.

"Since I developed empathy, which you obviously lack."

"Empathy is not a feeling I like," Ethan answered with a casual shrug. I thought that would be the end of their conversation—I was right—but Ethan's eyes eventually rolled towards mine with a mischievous glint in them. "Speaking of feelings, I heard Dawsy here has a girlfriend."

My grip tightened around my glsss and I leveled my eyes with Ethan who was smirking like he knew he struck a nerve. Ethan Foster was a dark man with dark intentions, I found that out early on in our friendship and I thought I could tolerate it but sometimes he was too much. That's why the idea of Ethan Foster even daring to think about Atria had my blood tensing.

Gavin turned to me to see how I'd react to Ethan's words, already knowing it would strike a chord. I didn't spare him a glance and instead decided to place my glass down in case I broke it from how hard I was gripping it.

"So what?" I deadpanned.

Ethan ignored the threat in my tone and pushed his luck further, "So who is she?"

"None of your-"

"I heard rumors that it's leper."

"What did you just say?" I was left shocked at his words and how casually he used that name Atria had once been called long ago. She didn't know of the nickname, no one dared tell her to her face, but it was the code name some people used in order to talk behind her back.