Chapter 10: I don't like him

• • •

"You can't change someone who doesn't
see an issue in their actions."

- Unknown

• • •

"He isn't all that."

I rolled my eyes at Cassidy as I handed her a pen. "Study."

The usual trio of Cassidy, Elenor, and I were situated in a cafè close to campus for lunch. It was a popular meeting spot for students and wasn't all that famous for it's meals but Cassidy wanted to feel the aesthetics while both Elenor and I wanted to study.

"You've seen him, haven't you, Elenor?" Cassidy turned to Elenor, her lined-eyes thinned into perfect lines.

Elenor shrugged her shoulders, stray hairs tickling the edges of her face as she examined the contents shown on the screen of her laptop. Finals week was about to begin and I could tell from the new lines on the girl's face that it was taking a toll on her.

"You said he was hot just a few days ago."

"See," I pointed to Cassidy with my pen, a smug smirk on my face.

Cassidy turned her glare to me now. "Just cause he's hot doesn't mean you should like him."

"I don't like him."

"Tris said otherwise."

"When did you and my sister become so close?"

"That's not what matters," She grunted unattractively. "What matters is that you're not sharing important pieces of information with your friends. Aren't you feeling betrayed, Els?"

Elenor shrugged her shoulders again, not bothering with a reply as she began to type and scribble on her notebook at the same time. I hummed as I watched her, impressed by her clean ability to multitask.

"I'm just helping him acclimate back into society," I lied, scribbling my own notes as I looked between my text book and my notebook. "He hasn't been back in Mercedes for years, Cassidy. This is his first Holiday back since he left."

"Doesn't he have friends for that?" She spat, crossing her arms over her chest. I sighed as I looked at her laptop that was displayed a black screen, showing that no studying will be done by her unless I gave her the conversation she wanted.

"Why are you so worried?" I asked, dropping my pen in frustration.

Cassidy's face turned to me and I could see that look that I was all too familiar with. It was the same look she had when she first visited to Governor's Hill, entered Mercedes University, and became the my friend. Cassidy looked out of place.

"He's not your friend," She muttered quietly, watching me with so much concern in her eyes. "It takes years to become your friend, Tria."

"I know," I sighed, my hands itching downwards to adjust my skirt that was beginning to feel wrong on my skin. "But he's my friend, Cass."

I could tell that my answer didn't satisfy Cassidy one bit but she relented nonetheless, deciding instead to retreat back into her books. I sighed before returning to my own.

Our trio had survived many years of fights over boys and threats of separation so I knew that this small quarrel was only another addition to that portfolio. We will continue and besides, this was barely a fight.

I just didn't understand why Cassidy was so reluctant for me to be friends with Dawson.

'Does she want him for herself?' My eyes glanced over at the pretty blonde whose brows were knitted together in permanent worry. Her peach-glossed lips were pursed together tightly due to her previous attempt to bite her tongue. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a messy bun that only fueled the fantasy further, showing that despite the stress on her shoulders her beauty will still reign. I wouldn't stand a chance against her if it got to it.