Chapter 10: Nightmares

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I winced as I opened my eyes, I was sprawled out on the ground, alone. I looked around slowly, I was in what looked like a fortress. Mist shrouded the entire area, I could see figures standing on a platform not far from where I was. I forced myself off the ground and started walking towards the figures.

"Ah, there you are." A familiar voice called out to me as I walked up the stairs that led onto the platform, "I'm not disturbing you am I?" The voice said. It was Duncan! This didn't make any sense, he was killed at Ostagar, my mind raced. What is happening?

"Wait.." I held out my hand to Duncan, "You should be dead." I said sadly.

"Dead?" Duncan laughed, "Me? Hah!" He scoffed, "I have been close many times, but I never quite made it all the way." Duncan said smiling at me. I arched my eyebrows at him, trying to remember how I got here. "I just wanted to make sure you were happy here, in Weisshaupt." Duncan continued, "These grand halls were built by the first Grey Wardens. Isn't it breathtaking?" Duncan asked looking around the enormous pillars that surrounded us.

"I'm supposed to be fighting the darkspawn. The Blight." I said slowly as I pressed my fingers on my nose. Duncan arched his eyebrows at me.

"The darkspawn are gone, remember?" He said smiled down at me, "You were there in that last great battle." He explained, still smiling at me. "It was a triumph for all of us, bringing down the archdemon and setting the underground lairs ablaze." Duncan explained, I backed away from him slowly. The tower, Alistair, the sloth demon, the Grey Wardens being massacred; everything was flooding back to me.

"That's... not possible." I said sternly, Duncan glared at me.

"Foolish child," his voiced echoed off the pillars and engulfing me. "I have given you so much and you cast it back in my face. Can you not be content with the peace I offer?" Duncan said quickly and sternly,

"The darkspawn are not gone." I said walking close to Duncan, "To ignore them is irresponsible." I spat at him, he glared even more darkly at me.

"It seems only war and death will satisfy you. So be it!" Duncan yelled as he grabbed his sword, "Have your war and your darkspawn! May they be your doom!" He said as he swung his sword at me. I dodged his swing and threw one of my daggers at him, it burrowed itself in his leg, he screamed out in pain. The other "Grey Wardens" were running at me with their swords drawn, I grabbed my bow and quickly loosed two arrows into their heads, they fell quickly. Duncan was glaring at me darkly. "I offered you exactly what you wanted, you should've taken it." I looked down at him sadly, I wished Duncan could still be alive, I disliked him for taking me away from my family, but for that time he was almost a father figure to me. I shut my eyes and quickly slit his neck, I didn't look down at the body, I knew it wasn't really Duncan but I did not wish to see that.

A podium appeared in the middle of the platform, it was radiating a blinding light, I arched my eyebrows and walked over to it slowly. I held out my hand and touched it with my finger and suddenly I was somewhere else.

I grabbed my daggers and looked around warily, 'what just happened?' I thought to myself, there wasn't anyone around so I sheathed my daggers. I was utterly alone, it was silent, a warm, dry breeze blew through my hair. I sighed, 'what do I do now?' I said to myself as I started walking.  The entire place just had this feel of gloom and darkness; there was no sun, the sky was cloudy and misty, there was no trees only rocks and well, more rock. I walked for some time through the maze-like area until I saw a figure standing next to a fire, I arched my eyebrows and walked slowly over to him, when he saw me he grabbed his staff and held it out as if he was going to attack, I held my hands up in innocence, the man arched his eyebrows and slowly lowered his staff.