11. the snow ball

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter eleven: the snow ball

[a/n]: nearing the end of the story! thank you so much for reading. also, i'd like to know if you prefer longer, more binge-able stories, because i can also manage that if that's what you guys like.
━━━

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟏𝐓𝐇, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟖

━━━ IT IS A BEAUTIFUL EVENING, and the winter night has long since descended upon St. Paul. Evie peeks her head through the doorway of Grandma's hospital room before the Snow Ball, teetering in her uncharacteristically high heels, shivering in her strapless dress.

Grandma is awake, and turns her head, a discreet gesture for her to come in. "Hello, dear," she rasps out. "All dressed up, are you?" 

Evie swallows the bile rising in her throat and nods, taking the plush seat beside the medical cot. "Yeah. I've got the Snow Ball tonight."

"Are you going with Guy Germaine?" Grandma inquires, her candor jolting Evie out of her skin. "You know, I always liked that boy. It was a shame when you two split. Your mother told me about that. She was so worried about you, sulking around the house. You are going with him, aren't you?"

Evie blushes and nods.

"Good," Grandma says simply. "Contrary to what many people say, young love is really the most beautiful and authentic thing anyone will ever experience in their life. You're free and wild and stupid. There's nothing more wonderful."

"Did you ever have that, Grandma?" Evie asks, leaning closer to the bed.

"Yes, I did," Grandma tells her wistfully, smiling distantly as if reliving a lovely memory. "I actually married him."

There is a long beat of silence, either because of a loss for words or a period of mourning for Grandpa.

Evie inhales a long, deep breath before asking her next question. It's a question most everyone never wants to be asked, because it requires them to admit vulnerability. But if there is anything Evie has learned about her, it's that Grandma is fearless.

She remembers Grandma taking her out to the lake for swimming lessons during the autumn before she started elementary school. There is nothing to be afraid of, she would say. I'm right here. I'm always going to be right here to catch you. And when Evie got out of the water, shivering with goosebumps traveling up her arms like ants, Grandma remained in the water, diving deep, deep, deep, always exploring beyond where one's feet could touch.

"Are you scared?" Evie asks.

This, Grandma guffaws at. "Scared of what? Love, if one really ponders it, there is nothing in this world that is scary. If you look at it in the right angle and light, everything is wondrous and magical. Better you realize that sooner than later."

"Are you scared of dying?" Evie wonders.

"What do you mean by that?" Grandma asks, touching her cheek lightly.

"Are you scared that it's time? That it's time to go?"

"No," Grandma answers shortly. "Because even though I am old and rickety, that time is far in the future, I know that for sure. Someday, my dear, I will have a time. But that time is not now."

"But Dad said-" Evie blurted out, only to be interrupted by Grandma shushing her and patting her cheek continuously, as if she were lulling a baby to sleep.