Chapter 41: "Argument"

It wasn't until late that we realized that we had nothing to eat for the little cat that came into our lives today

It wasn't until late that we realized that we had nothing to eat for the little cat that came into our lives today. I left Lexi at the apartment while I went to find an open store nearby that sells cat food.

It took me a while, especially the selection because I had no idea how old the kitten was. I took food for the smallest cats just to be sure, it can't hurt, right?

I went back to the apartment and found Lexi sitting on the floor with a wet kitten sitting on a towel.

"You didn't waste any time, did you?" I laughed and closed the door behind me.

"Felix needed a bath."

"Felix?" I raised an eyebrow. She already named him?

"Just trying out some names." She lifted her shoulder. "I thought of Winston, but I know that name from a book and it was the name of a...doesn't matter." She blushed. "Buddy?"

"A name for a dog." I walked over to the counter and placed a plastic bag on it.

"Garfield?"

"Just because he's ginger doesn't mean he's Garfield."

She lifted the cat into the air. "Simba."

I laughed and shook my head. "Definitely not."

"Tigger?"

"God save your future children." I walked up to her and kissed the top of her head. "Save the name for tomorrow. It's late, let's feed him and lock him in the bathroom."

"Wait what?" She stood up. "Lock him in the bathroom?"

"Lexi, sunshine." I laughed. "He survived in the wild. I'm sure he'll survive a night in the bathroom."

"But he will be alone there." She looked at me sadly.

"No." I shook my head. "I said he'll sleep there, so he'll sleep there." I crossed my arms over my chest. "I won't change my mind."

Lexi raised the cat to her head, their eyes at a similar height and both looking at me.

"No." I said more quietly. "I stand by my word."

Only one word came out of her mouth and the result was that the cat was sleeping on the pillow next to the bed.

That night I realized that if she said 'please' after any sentence, I would make it happen no matter what.