Chapter 39: Parents

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I was startled when I heard Finn behind me while I was making breakfast

"Jesus." I clutched my chest. "When did you get up? How come I didn't hear you?" I put the knife on the line and took a deep breath. "Don't do that again."

"Sorry." He chuckled.

"You're lucky I didn't throw the knife at you." I took the plate and put it on the table.

"I have a feeling you'd miss." He sat down.

"Do you want to test this theory of yours?" I put my hand on my right hip.

"No, no, no." He laughed. "Thank you for..." He pointed to the plate in front of him.

"You need something to eat. And drink." I placed a glass of juice in front of him before going to get my plate and sit next to him.

"Lexi, about yesterday..."

"I get it." I jumped into his speech. "You had every right..."

"No, I shouldn't have. I screwed up. I should have dealt with it some other way, not fall back into my old ways. I'm sorry." Even if he didn't look me in the eye, I knew he was telling the truth.

"Finn, your father passed away, it's only normal that..."

"It isn't. I hate that he has this effect on me even after his death. And that I broke my promise to you because of him."

Is he serious? His father just died and he's worried about this?

"Finn." I grabbed his hands and examined them carefully. "You promised you wouldn't fight. And it looks like you kept your promise. Only because you had a little to drink..."

"But it hurt you." He grabbed my hands. "I remember the look on your face when you saw me."

"Okay, you have to stop." I put my hand on his cheek. "I promise it's okay." I smiled. "I'm serious."

"But I..."

"No." I interrupted him. "You took all the baggage when it came to me. Now it's my turn. Got it?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I don't deserve you." He shook his head.

"Stop talking nonsense and eat." I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "As for the two of us, we're fine. You don't have to worry about that."

"Even after..."

"Oh my God." I let out a frustrated breath. "I'm going to stuff that food in your mouth if you don't stop." It was a joke. A little.

I honestly don't care how he acted yesterday. Although I would prefer if he talked to me before he got drunk. But it's okay. I get it. His dad just died, I won't blame him for how he's dealing with it. As long as he hasn't hurt himself, it's fine.