Get Your Mind Out Of The Gutter

For more stories like this and to get early access to future chapters, exclusive works, and other additional goodies, please visit https://allmylinks.com/flightoffancy.
-
Chapter 1
-
Harry let out a loud groan. Leaning back into the winged back chair, he desperately tried to stretch out some of the knots that had formed in the hours he's spent sitting still. It was Saturday and he came to the library today with the same mission he had every day: Find a bloody spell to beat a dragon. Thus far he'd only found a few new general defense spells and one charm that makes a person believe they're a dragon for a few hours. He did jot that one down for later. Could be useful for getting back at Ron for being an ass.

A pile of books slammed onto the table in front of him followed by a familiar bushy haired brunette in the chair across from him.

"The bottom two contain some interesting methods for creature containment using temporary wards schemes. Though I wouldn't suggest that as your plan A. It's a really complex topic, this one however is quite interesting. The author goes into detail about a certain practice used by Brazilian magi-zoologists. Essentially it involves a series of-" she chattered out speedily. Harry just smiled. He knew she was worried and was running herself ragged trying to help him come up with a plan for the first task. But even exhausted and stressed beyond belief, she still found ways to be fascinated about magic. She still had that same wonderment and passion for it that she found in their first year.

Ever since his name came out of the goblet a lot changed at Hogwarts. It was reminiscent to the infamous "Heir of Slytherin" debacle. Everywhere he went now, glares and whispers followed. Except this time there were the glares and whispers of one of his best friends as well. When Ron had turned on him with the rest of the school he thought himself lost. Abandoned. But the next day when he descended the stairs into the common room, there she was. Two pieces of toast in one hand and a book on magical contracts in the other. She greeted him with a smile and in that moment he felt a little bit of hope return to him.

Because if there was only one thing Harry believed in, he believed in her.

"-but combining an Ossification Curse with a runic array like that could lead to- Harrrrryyyyy. Pay attention! It's important we cover every option no matter how theoretical or down right impossible it might be. I- I don't want you to get hurt." she said mournfully.

Shaking his head, Harry reached forward and covered one of her hands with his own. "Hey I'm going to be fine yeah?" he claimed, even if he didn't believe it truthfully. "Besides, I've got THE Hermione Granger in my corner. There isn't a problem or puzzle out there she can't solve." He meant to move his hand from hers but stopped himself at the last second, deciding to just enjoy it for a few moments longer. She made no move to end their small contact either.

She smiled at him yet it didn't meet her eyes. Letting out a huff she laid her head down onto the table. Right on top of their joined hands.

"There's not much good I can do during the task though. Outside help is forbidden and measures will more than likely be put into place to prevent it." she mumbled, "If only there was a way I could be there with you. Even if I couldn't help with a wand I could at least help devise a plan based off what dragon it is. It almost be easier to-" she stopped abruptly, lifting her head from the table in a flash. He raised an eyebrow at her.

"Be easier to do what 'Mione?" he questioned.

"There's a spell, well not really a spell more of a ritual but with a little twist of charms added to it. We learned all about it in Ancient Runes last year. At least a basic version of it anyway, but it was an interesting topic so I decided to research its more advanced forms. Interestingly enough though the basic version is the most powerful one compared to the advanced ones. A famous runes scholar, Albatrius Bowlin, theorized it could be due to the Gaelic rune set utilized-"