16

Mila fiddles with a tape measure while watching Fox poke needles into the side of a mannequin. He looks at the fabric intently, ensuring every element of the garment falls as it should.

"You're really good at this." Mila hands Fox the tape measure and moves it for a better view. "I always assumed a machine did this kind of stuff."

Fox looks up at the curious assistant and smiles. "No, ma'am", he chuckles, piercing another tiny hole into the fabric. "Machines could never create this much life. Scarlet has always worked under the handmade practice. She taught me the same way."

"She taught you?" Mila queries, glancing across to the woman's closed office. "Isn't she super young?"

Fox stands to admire his work, rolling his index finger over the tip of his chin. "Her talent trumps the years she's spent in this crazy world", he explains. "I was good before, but when Scarlet started mentoring me to be her right-hand man, damn."

Mila chuckles, reaching to graze her fingers over the baby-pink fabric. "I bet," She smiles. "Seems like she's pretty thorough."

Fox notices Mila's wondering eyes, finding them to be lingering over Scarlet's door. "So", he sighs "How do you feel about coming with us to Dubai?"

Mila laughs anxiously. "Terrified", she admits, folding her arms with an awkward smile. "I'm not even sure why she wants me to come. It was only last week she yelled at me for having no experience."

Fox rolls his eyes playfully. "I'd imagine there's a few reasons swimming about in that head of hers."

Mila follows Fox as he rummages to find another layer of silk. "What do you mean?" she asks impatiently. "What reasons?"

"I don't know", he lifts his hands beside his head in defence. "I'm not psychic."

Mila folds her arms. "You were in the meeting." she protests. "You know, the one I walked in on?"

The man takes a deep breath, placing his hands on his hips to look the girl up and down. "Look." he sighs with a hushed whisper. "No offence, but why would Scarlet want an inexperienced fashion novis to attend her showcase if not for a selfish reason?"

"A selfish reason?" Mila repeats, taking the hint to close the distance between them as Scarlet emerges from her office to meet Harlow across the floor. "Fox, what are you talking about?"

Fox shakes his head, leaning to whisper into Mila's ear, "Boss lady just wants some candy for the trip."

Mila's eyes widened in shock. "What?"

"Yep," Fox winks, "I think you have yourself an admirer."

The girl looks out towards the floor, finding Scarlet now assisting Ember with a folder of swatches. "I mean, she was flirting a little earlier." she muses. "I just assumed she did that with everyone, though? You know, to be friendly?"

Fox shakes his head and perches on a nearby table. "No", his shoulders relax. "Scarlet lays it down when she's after something. Otherwise, she'll keep her distance."

"Well, she's got a lot of experience" Fox cocks his head, invested in the girl's statement "Unlike me. I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't flirt."

"Wait", he scoffs. "Take it back. Experience?"

Mila nods. "Yeah?"

"Where did you hear that?" Fox queries.

Mila swallows hard, hoping the man won't judge her for scrubbing up on her Scarlet Ramirex trivia "Google?" She questions as if not the one who spent hours researching her new boss. "A few articles dubbed her as a play-girl. There's like a thousand pictures of her having dinner with different people?"