Chapter 7

Sunlight jig sawed across the carpet of perfect grass, through the branches of the silver birch trees. A marble bird bath entertained a pair of finches, while several feet away on a flagstone patio, the owner of this idyllic setting, entertained some unwanted news.

"There may have been useful information to be had, Lyle."

"The driver provided all the recordings they had made. There was nothing to tell us where they might have gone now."

"Is he still searching?"

"He has been retired. His skill level was unacceptable."

"Sanctioning our own people is not a custom we should adopt, Lyle." Rebecca admonished, setting her cigarette holder in the marble ashtray on the patio table.

The man smiled grimly. "As with Anton, you mean?"

"Anton was an example - not one I intended you follow." She took a sip from a cocktail glass, watching the birds. "This Tate you brought in, has he anything to offer?"

"He informed me that there is another agency digging into our operation."

Rebecca set her glass down, spilling a few drops. "Other than the military's Icecap?"

"So it would seem."

"But who? Who else could be involved without us knowing?"

"That's all he learned before he felt they had caught onto him. A man and a woman, who ran a safe house - along with the other agent from Beatty and Spiers."

She jammed a fresh cigarette into the holder, lighting up, and expelling a large cloud of smoke. Her military contact was on top of all the usual parties that poked around in security. How had he missed this one? She tapped the ash from the cigarette and nodded to herself. "We will convene another meeting - senior members only. This needs to be discussed. Meanwhile, make certain you have everything this Tate knows. And refrain from sanctions . . . for the moment, Lyle."

Skipping blandly over her admonition, "Maybe we should enlist our man in military security to assist. He could supply all known safe house locations," he suggested.

Rebecca placed a finger to her lips. "That may just be a solution, Lyle. He could do that without jeopardizing his position."

"I can arrange a meet."

"Good. Do that. I'll put out the word about a flash meeting to the senior members. We will be stopping all local military actions until Icecap is cleaned up. Some may prove difficult on this point, in spite of our demonstration with Anton."

"I'll set up a meeting with Arctic."

******

Devon sat at the little table in the kitchen area with Martin, the man introduced to Matt as Oasis. He was outlining what they had to do and what they needed. It was Martin's job to provide a safe operational centre for members of signature reduction, as needed.

"What are we going to do from here?" Matt asked.

"Martin will co-ordinate all our command actions from this island."

"Command actions?"

"Martin has a secure line to our headquarters. Devon will update them, and they'll issue new orders." Sheridan was beginning to sympathize with Matt; he was following them without really knowing what was going on.

"I could get in touch with Arctic, see if there's any new information."

"Absolutely not." She glanced at the two men. "Devon would agree with me - and Martin would anchor you to the bottom of the lake if you tried."

"He was my handler!"

"Matt, we know someone in the military is working with Zero. Any contact with those people could be compromised. It's not on, okay?"

"You think Arctic could be a double?"

"I don't know, but we are not going to risk finding out by contacting him." She put a hand over his, offering a sympathetic smile.

Matt, hesitated a second then withdrew his hand. "Let's not break any rules."

Sheridan's mouth fell open as she watched him leave their table and go outside. Break rules? Did he think . . .? She got up and followed.

******

Devon stood, patting Martin on the back. "I need some face to face with a few people, my friend. With Sher's safe house blown, I have to find out just how we can keep moving around and still function."

"I'll dig up what I can, Dev, but you know you can't stay here - rules."

"I know, that's why I need to talk to some people. We're good for the two day, one night allowable, so I want to borrow the boat and get back to the city."

"I'll keep tabs on your friends here."

"Sher's solid, Martin. Constable is probably as well, just not one hundred percent verified."

"Like I said, I'll keep tabs."

Devon went outside and found the others standing by a pile of stacked firewood. He told them his intention, and said he would be back in time to follow the rigid protocol regarding time on the island. Sher walked him to the boat, looked back at Matt, and then gave Devon a short hug, seeing him off.

Matt picked up a stick and began peeling the bark away. He wondered about the pair being more than colleagues. How long had she known him? She seemed to know they were coming to the island. Had she been with him here before? The bits of bark peeled off, falling on his shirt, and he brushed them away absently, watching her come back up the dock.

"He'll be back tomorrow, late. We'll be ready to go when he does. Right now I think Martin will have made some lunch, and we should eat while we can."

"Why such strict protocols about this place?"

"Martin is a very valuable asset. He is privy to a lot of classified intelligence, and getting him exposed would be a disaster. Minimum stays are meant to help protect his location."

"We could be followed."

"Not without eyes on. The boat has a very sophisticated, all-source signal jammer. It also will self-destruct if certain start-up procedures aren't followed."

"How did Devon get it in the first place? It stays here, right?"

Sheridan took his arm and turned him toward the house. "Lunch, remember?"

Matt rubbed his eyes and nodded, letting her lead him back. Some things are still secret. Matt Constable is still an unknown quantity with these people. He held the door as they stepped inside.

"Weapons grade chilli and French stick. Grab a seat." Martin was bright-eyed and grinning as he dropped a large ladle full into three bowls.

"Is there a rescue drink of any kind?" Matt chuckled.

"Ice cold beer or water."

"Beer please."

"Two." Sher added.

Matt lifted a spoonful to his mouth. "Oooh, now that is volcanic."

"Put hair on your chest, my boy." Martin dug in, showing no effects from the spicy heat.

******

Devon left the boat at the dock by the boardwalk and moved to a somewhat sheltered place in the park, away from the strolling sun worshippers, taking out his phone and dialling.

"Arctic."

"We need to talk."

8246 WP word count to this point