Chapter 4

Several cars turned into the paved drive close together, depositing their occupants under the lighted portico. Inside, coats were whisked away by silent maids and the owners directed to the vast, lavish living room where Rebecca Davenport sat, throne-like.

"Help yourselves to drinks and find a seat. The meeting will start in ten minutes, precisely."

The group automatically followed the suggestion and in exactly ten minutes, Rebecca spoke.

"Icecap is finished and will be dismantled, and all references, in any form, erased." She sipped from her cocktail glass, sharp eyes roving over the assembly. "We discovered their incursion with our own breach of their program, and to continue would be a foolish risk. Zero will continue as always, but we will not be using previous sources. Understood?"

"It's not going too well so far." A rough voice from a man to her right commented.

"Thank you for your observation, Mr. Carra. We are correcting that as we speak. I believe our hit-and-run victim has since succumbed, and the others have been located and will be dealt with. It is important to note that each of you will be responsible for your own associations - there must be none left that might connect Zero to any of this."

"What about pending deals, are we supposed to just throw that money away?"

Rebecca stood and strolled to the massive fireplace, setting her glass on the mantle. "Anton, this gathering is to preserve a business that has provided all of us with a very lucrative living. To quibble over a few lost transactions seems rather petty and unbecoming to a member of this committee."

"Petty or not, it's bad business to renege on deals." Anton looked around for support. "Are you all sheep? We are not given these opportunities, we have to make them, and reputation is the dealmaker."

No one spoke in support, and Rebecca smiled benignly. "Anton, let's take a stroll for a few minutes." She turned to the silent man standing behind her chair. "Lyle, will continue the briefing while I'm gone."

"Talk and stroll all you want, you won't change my mind."

"Let's see." She led him from the living room to a smaller den, closing the massive doors behind them. "Anton, we have done an audit of the Zero accounts, and I'm rather embarrassed to point out that your contribution is, well, let's say lacking."

"Well it won't get any better shutting my customers down."

"The committee disagrees."

Anton scoffed, flapping a dismissive hand. "I'm not concerned with what those idiots think. I have deals on the table, and commitments to honour."

"And what of those deals and commitments already made? We have not received the agreed upon contributions?"

"It takes money to make money," he sneered.

"Indeed, and yours is not providing that for us." She went to a desk and pressed a buzzer. A moment later a man entered the room. "Rolph, Mr. Decker will be leaving, would you see to that please."

Rebecca turned and left for the living room, hearing behind her, the blow that silenced Anton Decker.

"Anton has agreed to our proposals." She strode to the mantle and retrieved her drink. "Now, are there any more concerns? No? Then let us proceed with haste in dissolving Icecap."

******

"What was that all about? Into the subway, out of the subway. Changing platforms." Arthur sprawled on the hotel bed while Devon stayed by the window.

"Constable, come here." Devon moved aside and told him to look out at the street. "What do you see?"

"A couple of pedestrians, some parked vehicles . . . I don't know. Stores. Buildings. What am I supposed to see?"