Chapter 2

I paid no attention to whether the others were following me, and ran up the hill

What I saw up there was terrible.
Two bulls.
And not just normal bulls - but bronze bulls the size of elephants.
And that wasn't all.
They also had to be breathing fire, of course.
What worried me most wasn't actually the bulls.
Or the ten heroes in full armor who were getting their bronze-clad butts spanked.
What worried me was that the bulls were all over the hill, even on the other side of pine.
That shouldn't really have been possible.
The magical boundaries of the camp didn't allow monsters to get past Thalia's tree.
But the metal beasts did manage it.

An armor shouted, "Border patrol, to me"
It was a girl's voice, coarse and familiar.
Border patrol, I thought.
There was no border patrol in the camp.
"That's Clarisse," said Annabeth, who looked to be one of the suits of armor.
"Come on, we have to help her."
The other combatants scattered in panic as the bulls charged.
The grass around the pine was on fire.
One fighter screamed and ran in circles while the crest on his head blazed like a fiery Mohawk.
Clarisse's armor was already pretty battered.
She was fighting with a broken spear shaft, the other end stuck uselessly in the metal joint in a bull's shoulder.

I turned the sun on my ring.
My golden sword grew in my hand.
"Tyson, you stay here! You can't risk your life again!" said Percy behind me.
Annie and I turned around and when she caught sight of Tyson she gave me a confused look.
"Later," I whispered to her, and then she looked back at Percy.
"No!" said Annabeth. "We need him!"
Percy stared at her.
"He's a mortal. He got lucky with the bullets, but he can't..."
"Percy, do you know what that is up there? Those are the bulls of Colchis, forged by Hephaestus himself. We can't fight them without Medea's sun shield with SPF 50000. Otherwise, we'd be burnt to soot flakes."
"Medea's what?"
I rummaged in my backpack and cursed. "I've got a jar of tropical coconut scent at home. Why didn't I bring it with me?"

"Look, I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm not letting Tyson get barbecued."
"Percy..."
"Tyson, back off!" He raised his sword. "I'm going now."
Tyson wanted to protest, but Percy was already running up the hill toward Clarisse, who was yelling at her patrol and trying to line them up in a phalanx formation.
I looked at Annie again, and we ran after her.
Clarisse's idea was a good one, but unfortunately Clarisse could only muster six people.
The other four ran around with their helmets on fire.
Annabeth rushed off and tried to help them.
She teased a bull no. 1 until it chased her, then made herself invisible, causing the monster to become very confused.
The other bull attacked Clarisse's phalanx.
Percy ran to Clarisse to help her while I turned to the other bull who was still looking for Annie.
I tried to throw a few balls of light at him, but they didn't even make a scratch.
So, the old way.
I grabbed my chain and tried to direct the bull not to run into the camp with my arrows.

Annabeth shouted orders to the other half-bloods to disperse and distract the bulls.
Bull No. 1 ran a wide arc and then came at me again.
In the middle of the hill, where the invisible border should have stopped him, he slowed down a little and seemed to be fighting a strong resistance, then he broke through and ran on.
Bull No.2 was concentrating on Percy for the moment.
Where did Clarisse disappear to?
But I couldn't concentrate on that at the moment, as Bull #1 was coming straight at me.