Chapter Two: Sleepy Surprises

The stairs creaked under my feet as I made my way upstairs to my room. Boxes filled with my things were stacked all through the 2nd floor of the B&B in almost a maze. I wove my way through the hall before bursting into my room.

Without even hesitating, I pulled off my jewelry, kicked off my shoes and began to unzip my dress. I let the red, formfitting dress fall to the ground and let out a long awaited sigh. Beauty was a must but sometimes it could be so painful.

Even though I loved being comfortable and free, I was becoming cold and knew I had to change quickly. Robin would leave soon to get back to his apartment and I wanted to spend his last moments here with him.

So, I grabbed a silk gray nightgown and slowly pulled it on over my head. The soft fabric ran over my skin, gently brushing my knees.

I walked into my bathroom and began to brush my teeth when I heard the door to my room open. Continuing with my night ritual, I began to take my jewelry off.

Robin appeared in the doorway behind me and smiled in the mirror. He moved closer behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. His chin rested on my bare shoulder, his lips brushing my neck.

"You left your food to burn." I mutter before he could get any words out. He smiles and holds me close.

"I just left for a minute, milady." Robin whispers, his lips brushing my neck. My knees grew weak as my cheeks flushed. I looked down and cleared my throat. "Are you hiding from me?" He asks, easing an eyebrow.

"Now you know that's a silly question." I fire back, leaning forwards to place my earrings on the little jewelry plate next to the sink. Robin pulls me back to him, making me laugh. "What do you want?" I giggle, turning in my boyfriends arms. He smiles and slowly kisses me. My arms wrap around his neck, his hands staying firm on my hips.

"There we go." He whispers, lips against mine. "What do you say we go downstairs and sit for a bit before I head out?"

I nod happily and allow Robin to lead me downstairs. The tv was already switched on to old reruns of House Hunters. A large steaming plate of lasagna sat on the coffee table. I smile and sink down on the cushions next to Robin.

"You know me so well." I mutter, curling up on Robin's chest. My back pressed up against the back of the couch, my hand on his chest and my head on his shoulder. One of his arms was wrapped around me and the other held the dangled over the edge. I watched Robin for a minute before speaking. "Are you going to eat?"

He looked down at me and chuckled. "Of course. I'm just letting it cool, darling." His voice was low and soothing. Robin lifts his free hand and runs it through my hair, letting his lips stay on my forehead. I hummed gently, my eyes struggling to stay open.

***

There he was. Leo. Standing in the entrance of the old door. I shifted on my feet as my heart rate sped up and my palms became sweaty. He cracked his knuckles and clenched his jaw.

"Leo I don't want to talk about this tonight." I mutter, standing in front of him. My hands move up to his chest and I smile. "Come on baby lets go inside okay?"

But it apparently wasn't.

He pushed me back and I stumbled down the stairs. "The hell we won't! Where were you?!" He growls.

"I don't have to explain myself to you!" I screech.

Again, I was wrong.

Without warning, Leo swung down and hit my jaw. Pain spread through my lip and I felt warmth on my mouth. My lip had burst.

***

I sat straight up with sweat coating my body. The tv droned but was canceled out by the blood pounding in my ears. Robin frowned and held me to his chest, sitting up.

"Hey." He whispers soothingly. I bury my face in his chest and cling to his shirt, shaking violently. "Hey it's okay. I'm right here. I've got you. You're safe." Robin held me firmly against his own body and kissed my cheek repeatedly. "Want me to stay a little longer, milady?" I nodded, shifting to his lap. I always felt safer with Robin around.

"Okay." His voice was gentle and loving as he laid back down with me fully on his chest. "Okay. Just relax." Robin's hands rubbed my back as he hummed the symphony piece he played earlier in the night at the concert.

My eyes slowly drifted shut as I laid helplessly in his lap.

***

Sun. I could tell without even opening my eyes that it was morning. My back was still pressed up against the couch and my chest was... Also pressed up against the couch. Bitting my lip, my heart rate picks up as I slowly begin to panic. Where was I? Was Robin still-

Whatever my back was against moved slightly and an arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me close. Robin's chest. I had slept with Robin for a while night. There was a groan before soft lips met my shoulder.

I decided to play it off. Inside I was panicking and having a small mental breakdown. I had slept in the same house with another man. This hadn't happened since the divorce. And although nothing happened, what if something did? What if I had gotten hurt?But the rational part of me finally kicked in.

I was with Robin. Nothing was going to happen. He protected me and made me feel safe. We just fell asleep after a long day, that's all. It wasn't a big deal.

So, I let myself smile and snuggle into his warmth. His lips stayed put until I turned around in his arms.

"Good Morning." Robin's voice was scruffy and still filled with sleepiness. It made me smile.

"The couch, huh?" I whispered, clinging to the white dress shirt that was still wrapped around his upper half.

Robin chuckled and kissed my head. "You asked me to stay until you fell asleep again. I planned on moving you but-"

I placed a quick kiss on his lips, quieting him completely. "Thank you for staying." I whisper.

We stayed like that, laying near each other, for a while longer before I finally sat up. "What time is it?"

Robin's hand rests on my back as he looks around. "Um... 10:45?" He still sounded groggy, making my heart flutter. Or was it the fact that it was almost 11:00?

11:00? I was supposed to have picked Mary up at 9:30.

"We have to leave."

A/N: hey guys! Im so excited to share this book with y'all. I already have all the chapters planned out and I think you're really going to like it!!! At least, I do. Please leave comments of what you thought. I love reading them! Thanks so much!