7. Run away?

"The only good Muhurat (auspicious time) is after two months." The pandit predicted a date for wedding after looking at Manasa's and Jagannath's horoscope. 

The former king, Narendra, and the military head, Lord Chandra, frowned. Two months is too long.

"Is there no date in this month?" The former king asked, and the pandit shook his head as a 'No'. Lord Chandra was dissatisfied too. "Any normal good day will also be okay." he said.

"It's not about the dates my lord. The girl's horoscope seems to be indicating an emotionally stressed and ominous days for the next two months. It would be better if we let these two months pass." The pandit explained.

Manasa's grandfather, Narendra, didn't look happy hearing this. Ominous day? Emotional stress? What can a girl sitting in palace and enjoying the royal luxuries get stressed about?

"Will the horoscope change if the girl is happy?" Narendra asked, his tone cold and strict. The pandit looked at the old man gulped. He wanted to say that the written fate cannot be changed by human intervention, but his head was more precious than any preaching about life. He simply smiled and nodded. Whatever. He had done his job. It is up to them whether they listen to him or not.

"It is just two months. Lets wait till these two months pass."

The silent man in the room finally spoke. He was none other than the groom Jagannath. He was silently listening to these over excited old men all this while as he popped grapes into his mouth. Lord Chandra glared at his son for speaking in between. Jagannath didn't care about that glaring though.

"Don't meddle with things beyond your control. You will only mess it up." Jagannath said, now eating an apple. His eyes daringly challenged Narendra's, making the later clench his fists. Jagannath didn't waste anymore time in the room and left the former king's palace.

---------------

"What's all this?" Manasa questioned the head maid who came into her chamber with a group of six maids behind her.

"Your Highness. These six maids I chose will take care of you from now on. They will look at all your needs and ensure that you have no trouble here." The maid replied politely. Manasa frowned hearing this. When did she ever ask for this?

"I don't them. You can leave with them." Manasa ordered, irritated by too many people in her chamber. She wanted privacy, at least in her room.

"I am sorry Your Highness. This is arranged by your grandfather. He particularly instructed us to keep you satisfied during your stay here." The head maid informed with her head bowed.

Manasa was beyond irritated after hearing this. But she knew that she can't defy that old man's orders. She nodded with a stiff smile and asked the newly joined maids to ask Latha if they have any doubts.

Soon the maids started roaming around the chamber. Someone arranged roses in the balcony, which Manasa didn't prefer. She preferred lily and hibiscus.

Another maid put scented candle in the corner, whose smell Manasa felt was too artificial.

"Don't touch anything in that place." Manasa finally snapped when she saw a maid trying to rearrange her praying corner, where stood a beautiful idol of Lord Krishna and Radha. Manasa had made it herself.

The maid flinched, startled by Manasa's sudden interruption. Manasa shut her eyes and took a deep breathe. She didn't intend to show her anger on these poor maids.

"I am sorry. Just leave that place. I will take care of it." Manasa said softly. She needed to figure out a way to sneak out at night. She wasn't a fool to not understand that one of these maids, or perhaps all, were a spy of her grandfather, reporting about her. She can't trust them like she trusts Latha. 

The princess sighed and laid on bed. What was she supposed to do? Run away? No. They will catch her. Manasa didn't know when sleep caught her, her eyes lids closed gently as the gentle breeze from the open balcony caressed her face.

....

....

Now your temple looks as beautiful as you Manasa.

Manasa, are you happy?

You won't be sad anymore. I promise.

Manasa, I love you

Manasa

Manasa

...

..

.

Manasa opened her eyes, still a bit disoriented due to sleep, but confused at the voice she heard in her sleep. It sounded lonely, guilty, and full of agony. And that deep voice sounded just like ... like the .. boat man.

'Why am I even hearing his voice in my head?' Manasa thought and shook her head. Looking out of the window, at the beautiful sunset, she knew it will soon be time to go out. How? She was yet to figure out. But one thing she noticed it that the voice in her head had strangely calmed her down. 

A maid was lighting up the candles and diyas in the room. That was when an idea lit up in her brain. Scented candles. She just needs to put these maids to sleep and everything will be fine. And was a very simple task for her. Hehe..

.

.

"I want to be alone here. Go and draw a bath for me" Manasa instructed as she took a seat in the spacious garden. Them maids looked at each other and left after minute, but only after ensuring that the place was well guarded.

Manasa smiled and hummed to herself as she enjoyed the night breeze.

Its beautiful..

Manasa blinked her eyes and looked around. She again heard that voice in her head. What's wrong with her? She took a deep breathe and walked back to her chamber. And just as she expected, all the maids were drowsy. "Lets end the day. You all can go and rest now." Manasa said and all the maids happily left to get their beauty sleep.

The princess made sure that everyone left the room and immediately put off the candles. She would need them again every night from now on.

Covering herself with a shawl, she took out the basket underneath her bed and the washed blanket the prince/boatman gave her.

--------

'Huh? Where is he?' Manasa thought when she found the boat empty.

"Manasa" Avyukt called from a distance, making Manasa walk towards him. She saw a man around Avyukt's age with a hammer and wooden logs.

"What are you doing?" The princess asked the prince.

"Meet these people first. This is Veer, a local merchant. And this is Neel, his brother. They are going to put up a food stall and cottage here for business" Avyukt explained.

Veer (the General Veerpratap) and Neel (a junior soldier) nodded their heads, looking curiously at Manasa. They got used to the fact that their prince is a skilled liar.

'So she is the one who made the devil and love sick teenager' they thought. Though Manasa's face was covered, they could still make the contours of her face. And they knew she was a beauty.