26 | the sound of letting go

His sneakers tap rhythmically against the marble tiles, the polished floor giving him a clear view of his own nervous face. Despite his anxiousness, Haechan is making it a point not to pick on his cuticles anymore, and he finds that the silver bracelet Chaerin had made for him comes in handy for times like this as he fidgets with the chain instead.

"Donghyuck?" The familiar voice sounds surprised to see him there, and he looks up to come face to face with the older woman.

Haechan stands up but chooses not to say anything, prompting his mother to continue.

"Did you... come here to see me?"

"Is there any other reason for me to be here?" He couldn't help but to answer snarkily, earning himself a strained smile from the woman.

"Of course. Sit." She gestures for him to do so, herself settling in the plush chair opposite the one he was just in. "This is such a pleasant surprise! I was just about to head out for breakfast."

Haechan nods. He had come here for one reason and one reason only, so really, she could spare him the details. He could care less about it.

Of course, the more ideal option would be for this meetup to never happen in the first place, but Haechan realises that he needs to do it. For the sake of his sanity, and for the sake of closure. If his girlfriend could move on from the hurt her ex-boyfriend had put her through, he could at least do this, right?

Heh, girlfriend. Haechan finds his lips lifting at the thought of the girl he could finally call his. It wasn't Chaerin who made him visit his mother, obviously, rather a decision he made on his own after waking up with a clear head this morning. It could be due to the full night of sleep he's had— the first in a long while— and even though he would usually start his days early regardless, it feels better to do so energised.

"Son?" The female voice snaps him out of his thoughts, and instantly his smile drops. What the hell— had he really been daydreaming about his girlfriend with his mother right in front of him? Gosh, he's down bad.

"I think it's time we talk," he says curtly, gulping as he prepares himself for the next question that is about to leave his mouth. "Why are you here? After all this time?"

His blunt question seems to catch the older woman off-guard, but she quickly recomposes herself. Haechan hates that she does that— he could tell that she's anxious, but so afraid of making it known.

"I wanted to make amends, son," she finally says. "I've wronged you, left you alone to fare for yourself all this while. I didn't get to see you grow up and it's my fault. I'm so sorry for hurting you, Donghyuck. I don't blame you for being angry— you deserve to be. But I'm humbly asking you to allow me to make it up to you-"

"Yes, but why now?" He urges. "It's been almost ten years, eomma. You're telling me it took you ten years to fly back to Korea to look for your only son?!"

"Antoine and I are getting a divorce," his mother blurts. "And I want to bring you back with me. To Paris."

It takes Haechan a while to process her words, and when he does, he lets out a scoff, before it eventually doubles into loud laughter, garnering the attention of the people nearby.

"Donghyuck-"

"Un-fucking-believable," Haechan chuckles, shaking his head. "So let me just- let me set this straight, yeah?" He grins, leaning forward in his seat. "Ten years ago, I caught you cheating on my father with a man— a man you would eventually run away with to begin a new life with in France. You left me, freshly thirteen, without any sort of explanation, much less an apology. Fast forward ten years later to now, you're back here because the same man— whom you cheated on Father with, may I remind you— is now divorcing you, and you want me to follow you back to Paris, to— in your words— make it up to me?"