15 | another heart calls

Chaerin steps out of the campus, her eyes scanning the area for a familiar male before they eventually land on him just a few steps outside of the gate, leaning against his car by the curbside.

Jaehyun pushes himself off his vehicle when Chaerin approaches him, his right hand outstretched with a plastic bag dangling from his index finger. "For you, m'lady."

"You're a lifesaver," Chaerin sighs as she accepts the bag, the smell of the freshly-prepared sandwich already wafting into her nose.

Jaehyun had left her a text during her previous lecture telling her that he was in the area and would love to see her if she had some time to spare. She did, but only barelythe thirty minute interval between her two lectures were usually for her to go and grab a quick bite, definitely not enough to have a full lunch break with someone; but Jaehyun was insistent and even offered to get her some food on his way here.

"Sorry for taking up your time," he says meekly as they settle on an empty bench. "It's been a while since we saw each other so I just wanted to catch up."

"I feel bad, though. You came all the way here just to see me for twenty minutes," Chaerin answers apologetically. "Thanks for this, by the way." She lifts the wrapped sandwich in her hand.

"Nah, don't be. I wanted to do it." Jaehyun gives her a smile. "But if you really do feel bad, maybe you can make it up to me by rescheduling for a proper third date," he teases, and Chaerin laughs airily.

His words did cause a familiar thought to reappear in her head, though— to be specific, Donghyuck's mocking, gloating voice about winning the bet. Today would in fact be the third time she's seeing Jaehyun, but technically it shouldn't even be considered a date seeing as they're merely sitting on a random bench outside of school under a spontaneous circumstance.

"So anyway, there's a reason why I wanted to meet up with you. There's this charity ball that's coming up this weekend, and I was wondering if you'd wanna come as my plus one? If Haechan hasn't already asked you, of course."

Chaerin turns to him with raised brows. His invitation had released a swarm of butterflies in her stomach, but the mention of the boy she had only been thinking about earlier had caught her attention more. "A ball? Why would he ask me to a ball?"

Jaehyun seems slightly surprised at her question. "Because his parents are hosting it?" He continues, albeit looking slightly unsure. "Shoot. Maybe you weren't supposed to know that. Sorry, I just kinda assumed he would ask you since you guys are friends-"

"Dong- Haechan and I aren't as close as you think," Chaerin chuckles to herself, though it comes off more forced than anything.

It isn't a lie what she says— despite their mutual connections, there's a lot more that Chaerin doesn't know about the boy. Well, for one, she knows that he comes from a rich family— not a lot of college students could afford a car, let alone a car as expensive as his. She also knows that he has a stepmom and stepbrother just like her, but that's really just about it.

It's weird. Anyone as popular as Donghyuck would often have their names float around campus, and considering how small business school is, it's normal to know random facts about other people you don't know. Take Zhong Chenle, for instance. Chaerin wouldn't be able to match his name to his face if she tried, but for some reason she knows he's the heir of a massive cooperation in China and Dubai.

Maybe Lee Donghyuck just isn't the open book she's always thought he is.

"Could have fooled me. He doesn't even let his own brother call him by his real name, let alone an acquaintance." Jaehyun leans against the bench, crossing his arms. "But anyways, my parents are gonna be there so I'd understand if you're not comfortable with attending. They can be a little overbearing sometimes, and I can only imagine how they're gonna be like if they see me with a pretty girl by my side."