Chapter 17

It took some time before Ren was able to get Macaria to look at him again. She didn't know what happened and with the headache she had, it made it even harder to think about anything. Ren mentioned something about mana burn, but what was that? This was the first Macaria had heard of it.

"How does your other hand feel?" Ren asked as he released her left hand. The burning sensation was completely gone in her hand.

"It still feels like it's burning," Macaria replied. Ren held out his hand which caused Macaria to hesitate before placing her right hand into his. Cool relief began to spread throughout her hand the moment her skin touched his.

This was something she had never experienced before. Was this something unknowns experience? She knew that there were certain illnesses that only apply to unknowns and wondered if maybe this was one of them. Whatever it was, she didn't like it and hoped she would never experience it again. Speaking of, the silence between her and Ren was beginning to bother her. She had to think of something to break the silence between them. "Ren, I actually do need help looking for something," Macaria finally spoke.

Ren looked up at her, wondering what she needed. Just before he could ask her, a woman who looked to be about the same age as Macaria and Ren stepped off the escalator and began to approach them. She had long light purple hair that was braided and carelessly tossed over her right shoulder and was decorated with beautiful black and white fake flower hair pieces. The color of her hair decorations went along well with her white blouse and long black pleated skirt. "Ren, do you need any help with anything?" she asked.

He shook his head in response, "We're alright. Feel free to pack up and head out anytime you're ready. I can handle the rest from here. Oh, and please lock the front door before you head out."

The girl smiled in response before walking down the escalator to the first level. It took Macaria a few moments to understand what they were talking about. There was no way it was already this late. Her eyes were then drawn to Ren's digital watch on his left arm, the time read five minutes to eight. It really was that late! "Oh," Macaria quickly began as she yanked her hand from his. He was startled by her sudden movements, "I'm sorry, I didn't know it was this late- "

"Don't worry about it. I was planning on staying a bit after we closed tonight anyway. I take it you are a new unknown. If you'd like, I can give you advice about what happened so you can avoid future reoccurrences," he offered as he held out his hand for her to take. The offer sounded helpful since Macaria didn't know anything about unknowns. She knew that sometimes Natsuki would have some issues with using her powers and said it was related to mana flow issues. Whatever that meant.

Macaria looked at Ren, it seemed like he wanted to help her. Receiving info about unknowns from multiple people wasn't a bad idea and since Ren was able to help her through this situation. Sure enough, Hoshiko spoke up and convinced Macaria that since she was able to use his powers, she might actually be able to learn some basic healing spells. The idea sounded exciting but, it also confused Macaria. How was it possible for her to learn magic if she wasn't an unknown?

"Something wrong?" Ren asked as he noticed the confused look on Macaria's face.

"Oh! No, I'm fine. It's just I just gained my powers a few days ago and I'm new to all of this. I don't know anything about unknowns and honestly, I'm lost with all of this," Macaria responded. She felt ashamed to admit this, but she didn't know anything about unknowns.

Hoshiko could sense a mixture of confusion and sympathy from Ren as he stared at the floor. It almost seemed as if he was at a loss for words. "Interesting. Didn't your parents teach you anything about unknowns? Surly they would have since one of them would have to be an unknown for you to become one."