Fifty-Three-Point-Five | "I'll do anything."

Elijah's POV

With his father constantly hovering, scolding, correcting, or just displaying his overall disappointment with his life choices, Elijah felt torn between tearing his hair out or slicing his dad's throat open with a pair of bandage scissors.

Okay, so, maybe pondering homicide wasn't a great plan, but he couldn't help it.

His relationship with his father was rough on a good day, but it felt as though the man was being even more overbearing and condescending than normal. Both Zach and his mom insisted that it was his dad's twisted way of showing affection, but Elijah felt that not even abused orphans would have such a stunted understanding of emotion.

The comparison was sucky, he guessed, but still. He couldn't think of anything more appropriate, and he was doped up on too many pain meds to really try.

Texting Liza kept him mildly sane, however. When he asked for a picture of her, he hoped he made it clear that she really didn't have to send him one, since he knew how hard she struggled with her self-image.

She was fucking gorgeous, of course; she just couldn't see that herself, sometimes, which was fine, since he had no issues with reminding her. Often. All the time.

Heh. Maybe he could sneak some kisses while he did it . . .

His phone buzzed with a text, and he looked down with a grin, only for the smile to fall from his face when he found Austin's name staring back at him instead of his sweet Liza's.

Hay pro can you give me Liza's number so I and text her

Elijah blinked as he attempted to read Austin's text. The man refused to use his fingers to type unless absolutely necessary, leaving Elijah's dyslexic ass with the herculean task of attempting to read and decipher whatever the hell Austin's phone thought his friend was trying to say.

It took three tries before Elijah understood what Austin was trying to ask, and—once he had—his brows furrowed with confusion.

Why the hell do you want her number?

Okay, so maybe it made him a possessive asshole, especially since he knew Austin and Liza had no feelings for one another, but he couldn't help it. It had been no one but him and Liza (and Milo, of course) since they'd first met. To have Austin so involved, suddenly . . .

Well, it took a minute to calm himself.

So I can check on her grass hole obviously

Elijah rolled his eyes. Figures that Austin's phone wouldn't let him curse, but the man would still try.

Before he could respond, another text came in: She was add when I dropped her off and I want to make sure she's done alright

Ugh. God.

Alright, he couldn't be an overbearing asshole. Liza was perfectly capable of handling herself, and if she needed him, then he would do whatever she asked.

He hoped she knew that, as well.

Yeah, fine, dick, I get it. Here. He sent her contact information, then another message. But if she doesn't want to talk to you, don't make her. You know it's hard for her.

Cause I know I aim stupid. Figuring that the idiot had meant to say "ain't," Elijah snorted.

Right, he shot back in reply, knowing Austin would pick up on the sarcasm, even through text.