Orion

I slept with a smile plastered on my face and woke up with the same smile. I had a giddy feeling in my stomach, maybe all the excitement about that I was finally taking baby steps towards Aurora.

I made coffee and started packing for a week-long trip to my parent's home which used to be my grandparent's place. I remember every month-long summer spent there, the beaches, the sunshine, Nana's cooking. That was also the place where I learned to drive and also the place where while learning how to drive I crushed the neighbour's lemon tree. I had spent the next week getting them a new plant and replanting it.

Once packed all set to leave, I dropped my bags at the back of my SUV. I pulled out of my garage and Declan was already waiting for me outside his place. He lived opposite to me, similar to me he bought the place from his parents after they also moved back to Scarborough. Our parents were childhood friends and we were brought up like twins, and exactly like twins the ruckus we have caused over the years. We used to get grounded every week for pulling pranks on other kids on the street. Once we had left a rubber snake on each of their cycle, and our cycle privileges were taken away for a month and we had to walk to the school.

He climbed into the car, and I gave him an overall look. He was wearing a white button-down with sleeves rolled up and beige trousers and here I was in shorts and a T-shirt. We never had similar choices of clothes for any occasion except for work. I smiled and started the engine.

"As if you have never worn clothes like these," he says while fiddling with the system to set up his phone for music.

"Oh, I have, but not when we are going on a vacation to our parent's place."

"I have several pictures to prove you wrong"

"Those pictures were taken at a party happening there, not when I was travelling in the morning"

"Yeah sure, whatever makes you sleep at night"

We jammed through all kinds of music and when Taylor Swift came up, we even did a sing-along of Wildest Dreams. That song has somehow stuck with us ever since Everly, Dec's younger sister played it non-stop over one summer.

"So, when are you planning to tell me why were you continuously staring at Aurora yesterday instead of doing your work and also followed her into the pantry"

I shifted in my seat and clutched the steering wheel tighter while thinking what do I say but Dec beat me to it, "Don't even try giving me some lame ass excuse, get to the point."

"What can't a man be interested in a beautiful woman? And does he have to announce it to everyone else before letting her know?"

"Wow, of course you can. But remember she is my best employee, I do not want to lose her because of your stupidness."

I turned suddenly towards him making a mocking expression,

"You are my childhood friend; you should be on my side! But I am happy she has someone on her side, but that is all. Don't go too near her"

That earned me a smack on my chest, "Just be careful alright, I have not seen you this interested in anyone since whose name shall not be mentioned in the 10m vicinity."

I nodded and thought of her smile which brought a smile to my face.

By the time we reached Scarborough, the sun was already high up and it was lunchtime. I pulled up into the garage and we decided to take our bags out later on. Here our parents lived on adjacent streets and shared the backyard. Both of our families were already there,

Everly was arguing with my elder brother Rhys about who would handle the barbeque station. Rhys was about five years older than Ev but they fought like they were a bunch of five-year-olds and both of them were lawyers. Our parents already had drinks in their hands. We joined them and enjoyed a relaxing night.

The rest of the weekend went in a blur. Meeting all of our childhood friends, bonfires by the beach, and family barbeques. Monday morning rolled in quite quickly. I was getting ready to go surfing, I had already checked the waves during my morning run and it was going day for surfing.

I hadn't texted Aurora after Friday, I was afraid of coming on too strong and scaring her away. I pulled my phone out, it was 9 am and she should have reached work by now. I shot her a quick text.

 I shot her a quick text