EX chapter

The war between The Honkai and Humanity.

An eternal battle until the human race is exterminated.

Like puppets on a string, the infected rise from death.

Even The Honkai finds use in its worst enemies.

"This is Captain Kaiya Ishigami of the Lotus Squad! I'm requesting immediate backup for my team!"

Deep within a massive fissure in the earth, a team of three Valkyries fights desperately against the onslaught of Honkai beasts emerging from a wide cave entrance. With only the sunlight filtering through the fissure above and the luminous pink glow of the beasts, the Valkyries face death in the form of a white legion. The team comprises newly promoted young A-Rank Valkyries tasked with investigating a sudden spike in Honkai energy detected within the fissure and eliminating any Honkai Beasts that emerge.

The mission was intended for new A-Ranks like them, and they initially handled the Honkai beasts with ease upon entering the fissure. However, none of them anticipated encountering an unnatural horde of Alloy Chariots as they ventured deeper into the cave. Alloy Chariots are swifter, rarer, and more dangerous variants of the Chariot class Honkai beasts, typically encountered only once in every ten or more regular Chariot Beasts. Yet here, they are confronted with what appears to be an entire army of them.

"On your right Ashley!"

The Valkyrie named Ashley sliced the Alloy Chariot that leaped at her in two and many more that came after using her greatsword thanks to her teammate's warning.

"Damn it! These Honkai just keep coming one after another." A Valkyrie named Vina says as she fires her rifle, using high-powered shots to burn a hole through the heads of Honkai Beasts. When her rifle runs out of power, she tries to replace the cylinder in its base but the constant assault of Honkai Beast does not give her enough time to move out of the way. She instead uses the bayonet of the rifle, a custom-made blade fit for this specific occasion. Stabbing one of the beasts near her, she presses a button that latches and paralyzes the beast to absorb its Honkai energy. Vina lets out a yell and uses the harvested energy to fire her rifle multiple times, killing the Alloy Chariot and leaving Vina with a few more extra shots in her Rifle.

"Captain! Please, we can't hold them much longer!" Vina's urgent plea echoed through the chaos of battle.

"I already requested backup! We just need to hold on for a few more minutes. Stay strong, girls," their captain's words spurred them to fight even harder, determined to survive another day. Prepared to fight the horde or die trying, the three Valkyries stood their ground. However, instead of either outcome, an unusual occurrence unfolded: the Alloy Chariots slowly backed them up close to a wall. Yet, to their astonishment, the horde of beasts ceased their attack and stood motionless before swiftly retreating back into the massive cave.

"The Honkai Beasts... They're running?" Ashley pointed out, her voice tinged with confusion. The three Valkyries exchanged puzzled glances, trying to make sense of the sudden retreat.

"That's nonsense! Since when do these things flee like animals?" their captain, Kaiya, responded.

As the adrenaline began to wane, all three Valkyries sensed the exhaustion settling into their bodies. Despite the mysterious retreat of the Honkai Beasts, they knew they couldn't afford to let their guard down. Fighting nonstop since retreating to the entrance of the fissure, their bodies pleaded for rest.

Suddenly, Vina squinted her eyes, as if spotting something within the dark entrance of the cave. "What... is that?"

In the blink of an eye, a lance shattered through Vina's rifle, piercing her chest. She stumbled back, coughing once before blood trickled from the corner of her mouth. It took three agonizing seconds for her comrades to fully comprehend what had just happened to their friend.