Prologue

Prologue

Of all the people, you couldn't believe he ended up in Class E.

Karma Akabane. He was no idiot, and the fact that he entered your classroom that day both astounded and enraged you. Class had already been in session for a couple days, so you never would have thought he'd end up in the same class as you. Within a matter of hours he had already come closer to killing Koro-sensei than anyone else. And you couldn't shake the feeling that no matter how he smiled or who he smiled at, he was really smirking at you.

At the end of his first day, you quickly gathered your things and began to leave the classroom, but were stopped by Karma's voice. "Ah, (L/N)-san, what brings a smart girl like you to Class E?"

Spinning around and glaring, you said, "I could ask you the same thing, Akabane."

He just snickered. "Let me guess - forgot to put your name on the entrance exam?"

Your eyes widened a bit before narrowing. "It's your fault I'm here.  I'm not so forgetful that I wouldn't put my name on an exam."

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time you did that. Remember that Language Arts paper that you flunked because you didn't put your name on it?" Karma laughed.

"Basta-"

"Well, I've got to get going. I haven't seen Nagisa in ages, and I should really catch up with him. See ya around, (F/N)-chan." He walked past you, giving a small wave before leaving the classroom. You glared at him, and continued glaring in that direction until the sound of his footsteps disappeared.

"SO, I guess you and Karma-kun have already been acquainted." You jumped, and turned to see Koro-sensei standing there.

"How long were you there?!"

"The whole time. I was reading... uh... books... under the desk and overheard you two. You must have quite the history," Koro-sensei teased.

You readjusted your bag strap on your shoulder. "I'd rather not get into it. Besides, I have homework to do, so I really should get going."

"Study hard~!"

"Yeah, yeah." You walked toward the exit, pause for a moment, and spun around, pistol in hand. Koro-sensei was nowhere in sight, and your "bullet" just bounced off the wall.

"Nice try," came Koro-sensei's voice.

You turned back around to see his yellow face striped with green lines. "Yeah, figured as much." You walk past him and leave the school. The court yard was empty. Your grades had dropped after the "incident" last year, putting you in Class E.  It's not that you couldn't do the work.  It's that you wouldn't do the work.  Anyone who knew what happened couldn't blame you.

You sighed. "Well..." you muttered, "at least I get my shot at 10 billion yen. And getting revenge on that asshole."

If only it were that easy.

Preview for Chapter 1:

"If we die, I'm going to kill you!" 

A/N: So, those of you who read my DTK fanfic are probably saying, "What the crap, Hatty? Why would you start something else, HatsuHatsu? Where are all these nicknames coming from, you random author who can't even finish a single story?" Well, I will. But I noticed that there are virtually no Karma x Reader stories, and I really wanted to read one. So I decided to write one.

Enjoy, you random readers, you.

A/N 2: This is far more recent than the above A/N x3  Regarding the video, it really has nothing to do with this fan fiction, other than the fact that it's called Karma.  If you're wondering what it's from, it's the opening for the anime Tales of the Abyss, while the instrumental version is the opening for the video game by the same name.  Maybe I'll make it this fanfic's theme song.  Who knows.